Monday, May 6, 2019

Absolutely Nothing

She asked me
What I did
On my vacation

And I told her--

Absolutely nothing

I know she must have had
Opinions
About it

Because I saw the photos
From her vacation

And she was getting up at dawn--

Fishing
Scuba diving
Walking up mountains

And what I wanted to say to her was--

How is that a vacation?

But I didn’t
Because to each her own

But that was before
She gave me that look
When I told her
What I did
On my vacation

Now, isn’t it enough
That every day of our lives
We’re all running around
Trying to compete with each other?

Trying to get the most work done
Trying to be the most productive
Always working on a side project
Or a new fun thing
We can brag about

We have to keep that up
Even when we’re on
Vacation?

I don’t think so

When I went on vacation
I got myself a hotel room
Eighteen bags of chips
And three books
I was never going to read

And I had myself
A grand old time

Now, granted
There wasn’t anything
To take pictures of--

At least no pictures
Anybody would want to see

I think I only showered
About four times
The whole vacation

And I didn’t go anywhere special
Just a few towns over

Why go anywhere nice
When I wasn’t planning
On leaving the room?

I know some people think
Vacations are a great time
To expand your worldview
And have new experiences
Do things you’ve never done before

Well all that sounds exhausting to me
And I don’t feel like being exhausted
On my vacation

People wake up early every day
To go to work
And bitch and moan about it

Then they go on vacation
And wake up early
And somehow
It’s not the same
Because this time
They’re going white water rafting?

Now, you listen to me
And this is just my opinion
But--

There is nothing worth doing
That can’t be done
After 2pm

Anytime somebody tries to sell me on something
And it starts with--

Well, first you get up
Ten minutes before the rooster does

I know I’m going to say--

Thanks, but no thanks

I had a perfectly lovely vacation
Filled with a whole lot of nothing
And I won’t have anybody
Eye-rolling me about it

I don’t work hard at work
So I can work hard on breaks from work

That just doesn’t make any sense

Not to me anyway
Not to me

No comments:

Post a Comment