Saturday, May 4, 2019

The Hardest Thing

Oh, when she moved out
She took everything

I mean, I had--

I had a bed

That was it
That was all I had

She left with everything else

Not that I’m saying that in a--

It was her stuff
She bought it

And she offered to leave
Some of it behind
For me
But I was like--

No, it’s okay
Take it
Take it all

I didn’t feel right keeping it

I guess what I remember most
About that time
Was the boredom

I was just so bored

This was before you could play on your phone
And I don’t--

I don’t even think
I had a cell phone
At that point

I think I just had my landline
And I didn’t have anybody
To call

Nobody even knew
We were broken up
Until way later
Like--

We broke up in June
And I don’t think anybody really knew
Until October or so

And that was because
I locked myself away all summer
Thinking if I just kept to myself
I wouldn’t have to face the music
And tell people it was over

The living room had this little radio in it
I don’t know where we got it from
But the only station it would get
Was Lite Rock
And I would just put it on
And lay on the floor
Try to feel something

Try to feel something
About what was going on with me

And, uh, at least once every other hour
They would play ‘The Hardest Thing’
By 98 Degrees

I’m not kidding

That song was on all the time
And this was--

This was sort of after
It had stopped
Being really popular
Which was, like,
A few months earlier
But it was this sort of
Perfect lite rock song
In a way that a lot of the other boy band stuff wasn’t
At the time

And you know
Back when you were forced to listen to the radio
If you wanted to hear music
But didn’t want to curate it for yourself
You could actually grow to like certain songs
Even if the first time you listened to them
You were like--

Ugh, gross

And that’s basically what happened

I just got used to the song

I got used to the song
Before I got used to the idea
Of her being gone

And then one night
I was listening
Waiting for the song to come

And it didn’t

And it never did again

I’m telling you that was--

1999?

Twenty years ago?

And I haven’t heard that song since

Sometimes I think about, like,
Bringing it up on Spotify
Or whatever
And just--

But I always end up
Changing my mind

Seems like…

Seems like I was supposed to hear it
Until I wasn’t supposed to hear it anymore
And, uh--

And yeah

I’m not really interested
In going back there

That’s not something
I really need
To do

No comments:

Post a Comment