Thursday, May 23, 2019

I Drive Myself Crazy

He graduated before I did
By a few two years
And, uh,
My life was basically over

This was before you could really
Keep up with people
Like on social media or whatever

We had AIM
That was it

And if you think
I was brave enough
To just message him
On AIM--

Not that I didn’t know his screen name

I got it from my friend Marissa
Who got it from this kid Rocco
Because he was very very protective
Of that screen name
And that’s what made him so cool

I added him to my friends list
And he got his own category

The category was his name
And anytime that little door would open
And he’d be online
I would open up a chat window
Type ‘I love you’
And just…

Wait

This isn’t a story
About me
Screwing up
And sending the message
By accident one day

I kind of wish
That was the story
Because then
Maybe it would become
A story about
Him revealing
That he was in love with me too

Instead I looked him up
Years later
And he, uh--

Well, he didn’t age well

I guess he went to UNH
And then switched to Florida State
And then moved back to Philly
And then, I don’t know
Just--

Lost whatever it was that--

I mean, I’d love to say
I wasn’t just in love with him
For his looks
But I was fifteen
And I had never said a word to him
So yes
It was definitely more of, a--

Surface attraction

I could get sad
If I really think about it
So instead
I just--

Think about
The experience
Of having a crush on him

Sitting in my room
Looking at that chat window
Doing my homework
Fan pointing at me
My cat trying to sit on my keyboard
And ‘I Drive Myself Crazy’
Playing

It was so great
Just going all in
On your feelings

I don’t know when I stopped doing that
But there comes a point
When you just--

You sort of teach yourself
To hide things
Because, like, that’s supposed to be
Some sign of maturity
Or whatever

I did bump into him
At this outdoor event
This, like, food truck contest
And, uh, you won’t believe it
But he, like, recognized me
Right away

I have no idea how
I mean, we literally never said--

Like, not even two words
To each other

But we said hi
And he introduced me
To the girl he’s dating
And I said ‘Hi’
And that was it

But as he walked away
I don’t know
But, uh
I just kind of whispered

Low enough so he couldn’t hear
I said--

I love you

Just to--

I don’t know

Be funny or something

I laughed as soon as I said it

But it was like--

A callback, you know?

It was something I used to say
Even though I never
Actually
Said it

But still it was like--

I love you

I had to, you know?

I just had

To say it

No comments:

Post a Comment