Saturday, May 11, 2019

Love in Ancient Rome

She left her husband
For a gladiator

I was worried
I was worried about her

Every day
She’d traipse down
To the arena
And I knew something was up

She said it was just a ‘new hobby’
But anybody could see
She was playing with fire

My husband warned her husband
But he said she was just interested
In the folly
Of human cruelty

‘Regardless of that,’ my husband said,
‘You need to keep a closer eye
On your wife’

He didn’t listen
And now where is he?

Left without a wife

That’s the third woman this month
Who helped a gladiator escape
His servitude
So she could entertain some notion
Of a lustful dalliance

We’re running out of married women
And gladiators
And my husband and I
Have been given her children
Because when her husband found out
What she’d done
He promptly threw himself
Into the nearest fire pit

Tragedy
Tragedy all-around

I’m not upset to have the children, mind you

It’s not their fault
Their father was an idiot
And their mother was a harlot

And a household can always use
A few more hands
To scrub the walls

I just wish people
Would temper their passions
In favor of
Simpler things

We are not meant
To live like the gods

Brazen and satisfied
Refilled so often
By unclaimed fires

We are meant
To never know
Fulfillment

For if we did
--What then?

This woman
This woman whose children
I am now raising
Is somewhere right now
Regretting what she’s done

That I know for certain

And why?
And for what?

Was she not...entertained?

As she was?

And now does she find
A better circumstance?

Resting in those brawny arms
Kissing those supple lips
Feeling the weight
Of all that muscle
And hunger
Pressed up against her

She’s beginning to realize
She made a terrible mistake

A sort of life
Makes you a sort of person

Who she was before
May not have been exciting
But it was true to expectation

Tailored to her class
And sex

Now she is above herself
Far past her story
And where it should have ended

She will try many fruits
But she will find
That all taste sour
In the way that unfamiliar food
Always does

Picked my strange hands
And fed to you
As though you are a queen
When really
You are barely a subject

When I dream
I dream
Of being someone
Other than myself

But then I watch
As the children
Of my fallen neighbor
Wash their feet
In the beggar’s fountain
Outside my home

And I remember who I am
And why I am who I am
And I go back inside
To my husband

Not a gladiator
Just a man

And what more
Should I
Expect?

No comments:

Post a Comment