Monday, May 27, 2019

Because She's My Sister

I need you to give my sister a role
But she can’t know
That she’s getting the role
Because she’s my sister

Eventually everyone will know
There’s no hiding something like that
I’m just hoping that she gets at least two movies in
Before anyone knows
But even one movie
Even one movie should be good

And even when people find out
I need you
If she asks
To tell her
That she did not get--

--And she is going to ask, by the way--

I need you to tell her
That she didn’t get
This one particular role
Because she’s my sister

She really--

She doesn’t want
To get roles that way

She’s not using my last name
She doesn’t want to

I told her that it’s a common
Last name
And that even if she uses it
Nobody will know that it means--

But everyone will know
Would know
I knew that
I said different, but I knew--

People know these things
They check

And she must sort of know that too
Because she’s using a different name

And I am so
Proud of her
For that

I really am

And I wish I could be one of those
Cold-blooded jerks
Who’s cool with watching
Their loved ones fail
But I’m not
I’m really not

I can’t know
That I can help her
Succeed
And, you know,
Not
Help her

I can’t do that

But I also can’t let her know
That I’m helping her
Because if she got anything
Anything
Because she’s my sister
She would never be content
With any accomplishment
That came after that

And that would be a quick road
To resentment
To resenting me

And as it is
I’m already pretty sure
That she resents me anyway
Because I’m me
I’m famous
And she wants to be famous
And if she ever is famous
Then all’s forgiven
But if she doesn’t wind up
Being famous
And maybe even more famous than me
Than we are never going to have
That kind of close brother-sister relationship
That I so desperately need us to have
Because, you know, maybe I need this
Just as much
As she does

Maybe more

Because I’m lonely
I’m so fucking lonely

And how great would it be
To have someone else
Who’s already supposed to close to me
Understand this other part of me
That nobody else
Seems to understand?

So please
Give her the role
In the movie
But don’t tell her
It’s because of me
Because of who she is
And whose sister she is

Tell her she got it
Because she’s awesome

Because she is
You know
She is awesome
So awesome

And I wish I believed
That was enough

I really wish

That was enough

No comments:

Post a Comment