Thursday, May 16, 2019

Common Ground

I talk to them about business

Honestly
That’s what I do

I just go right to business

All these people
They go out there
And they make it
About morality

That’s not going
To get you anywhere

Oh sure
They’ll nod their heads at you
And ‘Hmmm’ and ‘Yeah’
But once that’s all done
They’re going to check their pockets

Do you understand
What I’m saying?

They’re going to say--

Either I’m rich
Or I’m not rich
Once this jerk’s
Done talking

And--

Is this jerk
Going to make me rich

That’s all
They care about

So I keep that in mind

And I say to them--

Yeah, I know you don’t like
This and this and that
But what if I could make you rich?

And all of a sudden
We’re realizing
We’re a lot more alike
Than we thought
A second ago

Suddenly
There’s common ground

You tell someone
They can move into a better house
Or drive a better car
Or buy a boat
A boat
And suddenly
They don’t care that much
About all these social issues
Everyone’s saying
They care so much about

See, before they only cared
Because they didn’t have
Any money
To keep them busy

Now, you have to dress all that up
Because nobody wants to believe
That they’re greedy

Nobody wants to admit
That it’s all about money
Or that they can be bought

But you say just enough
To make it clear to them
That you might not be the one
They agree with on a philosophical level
But you’re the one
Who’s going to send them
On an extra three vacations a year
And you just watch what happens

They’re shaking your hand
They’re handing you their babies
They’re giving you tours of their house
And telling you all the things in it
That are broken
And need fixing

And you’re nodding like--

Yup, yup
We can take care of that
We can get that fixed for you

That’s all they want to hear

All that other stuff
Is just what they want
To fight about online

I don’t pay attention to it

Yelling doesn’t interest me
And neither does
What people do
When they’re all worked up

I like to let them settle down
And then I hit them
With the dollar signs

Probably sounds like
I’m trying to talk
Like some kind of hustler
But that’s not it

It’s just how you win

Simple as that

The common ground’s just sitting there
If you feel like stepping on it

It’s sitting

Right there

No comments:

Post a Comment