Tuesday, May 28, 2019

When They Dig Me Up

They’re going to dig us all up one day
That’s where this is heading

Eventually they’re going
To run out of dinosaur bones
And you know when that happens
They’re going to start
Digging up humans

And when they dig me up
I hope they put me somewhere nice

Well, they don’t just leave you there

Don’t you know
How archeology works?

Once they dig you up
You’re up

That’s it
That’s your second life right there

Up and at ‘em

Then they either put you
In a museum
Or in a lab
Or they write a book about you

About who they think
You were

In my case, they won’t have to think too hard
Because I’m being buried with a notebook
Detailing my life
The better parts of it
And then I’m having the notebook
Wrapped in plastic
And inserted into my ribcage
That way they worms won’t get at it

I don’t see any reason
To make the archeologists
Work harder than they have to

I’m not sure what they’re going to find out
When they start poking at me
But I’m guessing they’re going to think
That human beings
Back in the days of now
Were fascinating
And often morbidly obese
Creatures

They’ll have something to say
About how bad my toe bones are
Because of all the ballet
And also
The cage fighting

Maybe they’ll wonder
Why my left elbow
Looks the way it does

And I can’t even tell ‘em
In the notebook
Because I don’t know
Why it looks that way either

The way I see it
The human body
Is a mystery
And why try
To solve a perfectly good
Mystery?

You think I ever got this growth
On my eyelid checked out?

Nope

The freckle on my back
That keeps changing colors?

Nope

The patch of hair
That fell out
And then grew back
As a finger?

Not interested

Let the people eons from now
Figure all that out

Like my aunt said
Right before she died
Of god-knows-what--

What’s going on
Inside of me
Is none of my business

When they dig me up
They can sort through
All that

The questions
The quandaries
The twelve-inch tail
I was born with

That’s all for them

The way I see it
You have to contribute
Something to the world

Even long after
You’re gone

And I’ll tell you something

When they open up
My coffin

They’re in for one hell
Of a treat

No comments:

Post a Comment