Thursday, May 23, 2019

Give Thanos a Chance

(The first reading of a play.  NINA is sitting
with the DIRECTOR.)


DIRECTOR:  We are just so excited to have
you on this project, Nina.


NINA:  I’m really excited too.  I’m sorry--I
never asked you who was playing the guy role?

DIRECTOR:  Oh, well--that’s kind of a secret,
but we really landed a big get here.

NINA:  Oh?


(THANOS enters.)


THANOS:  Hi, sorry I’m late.  You must be Nina.
I’m Thanos.


NINA:  Uh.

DIRECTOR:  Thanos--so glad you could
join us for this.


THANOS:  Oh please, the pleasure’s all
mine.  Do you have a restroom here I
could use?  I came straight across the
Universe and didn’t get a chance to use
the little Titan’s room.


DIRECTOR:  Sure--it’s right around the
corner.


THANOS:  Great. Be right back.


(He exits.)


DIRECTOR:  Well--surprise.


NINA:  Uh--what the hell is going on?

DIRECTOR:  What do you mean?

NINA:  Thanos is playing the other role?

DIRECTOR:  Yeah! Isn’t that awesome?

NINA:  No, it’s not awesome!  He’s a
monster.


DIRECTOR:  Whoa, Nina--where is this
animosity coming from?

NINA:  He destroyed half the living things
in the Universe!


DIRECTOR:  Right, okay, I did hear about
that.  And, you know, I’d just like us to
remember that there are two sides to every
story.


NINA:  What’s the other side?


DIRECTOR:  I just know that he felt very
passionately about doing what he did, and
while you may disagree with that--


NINA:  Half my family got snapped.


DIRECTOR:  Okay, so now I’m hearing your
side of the experience, and yes, I can imagine
how awful that was for you, but I’m asking you,
as a favor to me, to put that emotion aside, and
just focus on what Thanos is going to bring to
this project.


NINA:  What IS he going to bring to this project?

DIRECTOR:  Do you have any idea how much
publicity this is going to drum up for us?


NINA:  What kind of publicity?


DIRECTOR:  I’d rather not get into semantics.

NINA:  He’s the most hated person in the
Universe!


DIRECTOR:  And that gives him a unique
perspective into the character who is also not
such a good guy, don’t you think?

NINA:  The character in the play robbed a bank.
 Thanos decimated the population of entire
countries.


DIRECTOR:  There’s a lot of judgment going on
right now, and I’m just not sure that’s conducive
to creating a healthy working environment.


NINA:  So you don’t care about--everything he’s
done--because he’s going to--what?  Get us
more attention?


DIRECTOR:  Nina, I’m just asking you to be a
professional about this--


NINA:  If the Avengers find out about this--


DIRECTOR:  I’m trying not to hold what the
Avengers think against him.


NINA:  They’re the AVENGERS!


DIRECTOR:  And they are allowed to have their
feelings, but they are not in the room right now.  
You’re in the room. I’m in the room. And Thanos
is in the room. And I’m asking everyone in the
room not to let what people outside the room
think about those people in the room affect
what happens in the room.


NINA:  The room with a murderer in it.


DIRECTOR:  Nina, I had no idea there was
poison in that maple syrup and had I known--


NINA:  What?


DIRECTOR:  Oh, you’re talking about Thanos
again.


NINA:  I’m not doing this play.  I’m not working
with a WORLD DESTROYER.


DIRECTOR:  If that’s how you feel, I
guess I understand.


NINA:  I would hope so.


DIRECTOR:  I would just hate to see you
blacklisted.


NINA:  What are you talking about?


DIRECTOR:  Leaving a project like this--


NINA:  I’m leaving because of Thanos!


DIRECTOR:  Right, and I’m sure that narrative
will be sympathetic...to some people.


NINA:  Can’t you just fire him?


DIRECTOR:  And have this be a whole big
thing?


NINA:  It already is a whole big thing.


DIRECTOR:  Nina, I don’t know the right
way to say this to you--


NINA:  Oh god.


DIRECTOR:  But I truly believe, in my heart
of hearts, that--nobody is going to care if
Thanos is in the play.


NINA:  Of course people are going to--


DIRECTOR:  Oh yeah, I mean--they’ll whine.
 They’re moan. They’ll gossip. But then they’ll
either forget about it or buy a ticket to come
see it.  I mean, what are the other options?
They’re not going to shut it down. And even
if they did, some contrarian somewhere would
just offer to host us at an even bigger venue.

NINA: He should not be allowed to do this.
DIRECTOR: So you're saying he should
never work again just because he made
a mistake.

NINA: I mean...maybe I'm not saying
'never...'

DIRECTOR: Okay, but then--when? Like, who decides that? Who decides
when he gets to make a living again?
Even world-destroying monsters
need to eat.

NINA:  Is he even an actor?


DIRECTOR:  You know what?  Who cares?
Again--  Who...cares?


NINA:  I care.


DIRECTOR:  And, it’s not that you caring isn’t
enough, it’s just that--


NINA:  It’s not enough.


DIRECTOR:  Exactly. Ultimately, it’s about a
given accomplishment.  And whether that
accomplishment is great or, you know, the
greatest act of evil ever committed--it’s still
a pretty impressive feat, wouldn’t you say?


NINA:  He snapped his fingers.


DIRECTOR:  And there are people out there
who can’t snap their fingers.  Don’t be like
them, Nina. Don’t be a snap-hater.


NINA:  I hate him.


DIRECTOR:  Use it. Use the hatred.


NINA:  By agreeing to be in this show, I am
condoning everything he--


DIRECTOR:  No, you’re not!  You’re just getting
a paycheck.  And that’s what you’ll say if anybody
asks you--Oh, what do you expect me to do?  
I need the money.  And they won’t be able to say
anything, because they’re certainly not going to
pay you.  So they’ll say something about your
dignity and then walk away.


NINA:  And what about my dignity?


DIRECTOR:  Honest to god, Nina, it’s America.  
Who the hell has dignity has anymore?  We’re
lucky most of us still have teeth.


NINA:  I don’t know if I can--


(THANOS re-enters.)


THANOS:  That bathroom has the most beautiful
wallpaper.  Apricots! What a genius choice.


DIRECTOR:  Let’s get to reading, shall we?  Nina?


(A beat.)


Nina?


NINA:  Yes, let’s--let’s start.


THANOS:  I’m a big fan of your work, Nina.


NINA:  I...Oh.  Really?

THANOS:  Yeah, that last play you did--


DIRECTOR:  Wasn’t she great?


THANOS:  She was--it was luminous.


NINA:  Oh, well--


THANOS:  You are truly special.


NINA:  That’s--thank you, I--I’m looking forward
to working with you.


THANOS:  It’s an honor.


DIRECTOR:  Geez, you two, get a room!  
(Laughs.) Okay, let’s kick this off.


NINA:  (To THANOS.)  Did you have any trouble
finding the right room?  This building is--


THANOS:  Nah, I’m great with directions.
 It was a snap.


(THANOS and the DIRECTOR laughs.  NINA
is horrified for a moment, then she also begins
laughing.  They laugh and laugh and laugh.)

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment