Friday, May 10, 2019

Don't Force It

I just don’t see
Why it’s a crime
For me to want
What’s best
For my son

He wants to be a Jedi
He’s--

So, okay
He doesn’t always express--

Because he doesn’t always
Express himself well, uh

--So he doesn’t always express
That he wants to be a Jedi
But trust me
Trust me

He wants to be a Jedi

And so I just wanted to make sure
That he would have
That opportunity

Because I know how competitive it is
I know that--

I know that it requires
A lot of focus and concentration
And, uh, I should say
He’s not very good at tests

Just, in general,
For some reason

He has many, many, many things
That he is not horrible at
But tests are not
One of those things

And I just think that it’s unfair
That he should be penalized
Because of a test

Being a Jedi is not about tests

It’s about, you know,
Wanting to have fun, and like--

Lightsabers
And spaceships
And, uh, piu piu piu!

All that stuff

And he is--

He is so good at that

That is his--

Look, I just wanted to make sure
That he had the same shot
Everyone else did
Which is why I used some of our sizable fortune
To help him skip the entrance exam

So that there would be fairness

All those other kids
From all over the galaxy
Who are good at tests
Because they don’t have families
Who have enough money
To bribe their way out of them?

How is it fair
To have those kids
Test against my son?

My son who has literally
Never had to take a test
In his life
Because of me
Watching out for him
And making sure
He isn’t the only boy on our planet
Who doesn’t become a Jedi
Because then I’d never be able
To show my face
At the Interstellar Club again

You want to just pit him against
Kids who have an inherent gift?

Who are naturally talented?

Who have no means
And no resources
But were chosen by fate
To fulfill a greater destiny
Than the one they were born into?

Well, tell me this then--

Why did I even bother
Making sure I married rich?

If the coolest job in the galaxy
Can be given to someone
Who was born
In the middle of a garbage dump
Just because they’re special
Then why are any of us
Even bothering to try?

And what is my son supposed to do?

Get a job off-planet
Repairing fighter ships?

Won’t that be fun to talk about
With all my friends
While they’re bragging about
Which one of their daughters
Just brought down the empire

People just don’t understand

They don’t understand
What awakens in a parent
When their child’s future
Is standing in front of them

Even my son was criticizing me
For trying to help

I screamed at him--

LOOK, I AM YOUR MOTHER

It’s my job
To give you every advantage possible

Sometimes I wish
I could just run

I wish could just run off
To another galaxy somewhere

Far, far away...

No comments:

Post a Comment