Monday, May 13, 2019

Home After Work

It’s not such a big deal
When the weather’s bad

And, you know,
It’s bad, like, nine months out of the year

That’s the thing about up here
You really only get
About two to three months
Of really, really nice weather

Nothing more than that

And when it’s bad out
You go home after work
So I don’t mind
When it’s bad out
Because I like feeling like
Nothing I’m doing
Is all that out of the ordinary, you know?

That I’m just doing
What everybody else is doing

But, uh, when it gets warm
And I start hearing people at work
Talking about what they’re going to do
When their shift is up
That’s when I start to feel, you know--

Not so great

And it’s the dumbest thing
Like, it makes me feel dumb
And I hate that
But, it’s just about the pressure

I feel a lot of pressure
Knowing that I’m going home
And all these people
Are walking down to the Anchor
Getting drinks
And listening to music

If I open my windows
I can even hear it
Because I don’t live too far from there

The Anchor’s only a mile away
And if I wanted to
I could walk there

I did once

Everybody freaked out
When they saw me
Because I never went out
They just couldn’t believe it

I stayed for an hour
But it just didn’t feel right

Didn’t feel like, me you know?

Being out like that
Being social
Pretending to be anyway

I just felt like a fraud

So I waited until the band was really going strong
Then I slipped out

Not sure anybody
Even noticed

Or if they did
They sort of--

They probably expected it

Everybody sort of knows
I keep to myself

That wouldn’t really surprise anyone

This time of year
When the weather gets better
I keep feeling
Like I’m being pulled
But I don’t know
What I’m being pulled towards

Because when I start to go
In any direction
That I’ve never been in before
It just feels wrong

It feels--

It could just be scary
Because it’s uncomfortable
Or whatever
But it seems like more than that

Sometimes I wish
Everybody--

And this is…

I don’t wish I were different
I just wish everybody else
Was the same way
I am

And I don’t mean that
In like, an, ego kind of way

I just--

I want to keep being me
And not feel so bad about it
Because of how nobody else
Seems to understand it

I just want to go home
And be happy being home
And not think that, like,
There are people out there
Doing things I should be doing

I just want us all
To be home safe, you know?

And to be happy about it

I want what makes me happy
To make everybody else happy too

Is that weird?

I wish I knew
If that

Was weird

No comments:

Post a Comment