Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Marta

When I was first coming 
up, there was this guy
 who was--uh--he was
 the toast of the town. 
 I mean, really. 
 They talked about him
 like he was
 Christ or something, it 
was that--uh--
it was to that extent, and,
 uh, sorry--
I’ve never really talked
 about this.  The
 guy--Jonathan--Jonathan Dover
--he passed away almost
 fifteen years ago, 
so--You’re talking about a
 whole generation
 now, who just--who don’t
 even know who
 he is, because, uh, well, 
he was only ever
 really known locally.  But 
he was a big hit
 around here. And, uh, 
when he first, uh, 
burst onto the scene--we 
sort of started 
at the same time, and, uh
--everyone was 
saying, ‘Oh, he’s not going
 to be around 
here for very long. He’s 
going to wind up
 in New York.  He’s going
 to go to London. 
 He’s going to be big. 
Jonathan’s going to
 be big. He’s going to
 take the world by 
storm. Just you watch. 
 Just you watch 
him do it.’

And, uh...he didn’t.

Now, at the same time, I
 was, uh, really 
working very hard, 
making my own art, 
and uh, I thought, putting
 out some good
 stuff.  And, uh, I had some
 people who
 liked me. Who would
 come to my shows,
 and, uh, cheer me on. 
People who, uh, 
liked what I was doing,
 but, uh, you know,
 there was only really 
room for one star at
 the time, and, uh, it was
 Jonathan.

And somehow--I forget 
how this happened, 
but--we wound up at a 
party?  At a party, I 
think? The two of us? 
 And so we met, and
 we talked, and, uh, we went
 home together. 
 He and I. And that seemed--
logical. To me. 
That we--I mean, in my 
head--this seems 
silly now, but--in my head, I 
thought we were
 equals.  That we were on the
 same level. 
 And, uh, you know, probably
 we were, but 
in terms of--how other people 
viewed us?

In reality it was, uh--Not 
at all.  Not even 
close.

But, you know, you can make
 yourself believe
 all kinds of things when 
you’re young.

So Jonathan and I--we 
began dating.  And 
then, uh, he got me pregnant. 
 We had a 
daughter--Bella.  Beautiful. 
Best thing, uh, 
you know, in my life. Of my life.
  And all the 
while, Jonathan is working. 
And people are
 fawning over his work, and,
 uh, I became--
Well, I was--that woman who’s
 dating Jonathan.
  Jonathan’s partner. Oh, 
that’s Marta.  She 
and Jon have a daughter
 together.

And when they would talk 
about my work, 
it was…

It was always linked to his. 
 So--even when
 I managed to get them to 
say something 
nice, it was--

Great piece of work by Marta,
 and by the 
way, have you seen what 
Jonathan is doing
 over at the Hemlock Gallery
 on the West 
Side?

By the way, why the hell did
 anybody think it
 was a good idea to name 
a gallery after a
 poison?

Over time, Jonathan got 
replaced by new
 It Boys, and even--and
 this really drove 
him nuts--It Girls.

And he became mean.  
Really mean. 
Not so much to me or 
Bella, but just--
mean, you know, in 
general.

Bella took off.  She went
 to Berlin.  
I think--Well, I know she 
wanted to be 
an artist, and I think she
 felt like there 
was no way she could do
 it around here
 with her father lording the
 shadow of his 
past over her at all times. 
 Forcing her to 
live up to his own unfulfilled
 goals.

But she and I were, 
uh--very close.

One day, she called me,
 and I was in my 
studio--it was in the
 garage of the house 
where we used to live, 
and, uh, I didn’t
 answer, because I was
 so--so invested
 in the work, in what I 
was doing--and I
 thought, Oh, I’ll call 
her back.

I’ll call her back.

One of her friends found
 her a few hours
 later.  She was…

It was sleeping pills.  She
 had, um…

And I don’t blame Jonathan
 for that.  I
blame myself for not
 answering the fucking
 phone, but I don’t blame
 Jonathan for, uh, 
uh--driving her away in
 the first place.

But I didn’t paint anymore
 after that.

Jonathan got sick, and I 
needed to, uh, 
focus on taking care of him. 
 And then 
when he died, I needed
 something to 
occupy my time, so, uh, I 
opened the 
gallery.  And I named it--
I named it after
 my daughter.

People were--I know 
some people were
 surprised that I didn’t
 name it after 
Jonathan, because they 
thought--

They thought he was the
 love of my life,
 and oh how tragic, that
 I was now the 
Widow of the Great Man,
 you know?

That was the story
 they liked.

I don’t blame them.

It’s a good story.

    (A beat.)

But it’s not true.

I hated him.

Even before Bella--

I hated that son-
of-a-bitch.

I would have murdered
 him back when
 we were younger, but
 I wasn’t brave 
enough, so I fucked
 him instead.

Sometimes...sometimes
 that’s the closest
 a woman can get 
to...to, uh…

Well, that probably 
doesn’t make any 
sense, does it?

You know, the first time
 I met Fiona, she
--she reminded me of
 Bella.

And so I liked her.

It was that simple.

It was also, uh, not a 
very good reason
 to...to do the sort of
 things for her that 
I did.  Giving her show
 after show, 
mentoring her, you
 know, all that, and uh--

Everybody thought it 
was because of 
who her mother was,
 and, uh, I sort of--
I sort of let them think
 that, because it 
was less embarrassing 
or less, uh, 
whatever, to let them
 think I was just 
being a star fucker--
a celebrity 
sycophant--
then a...then…

Then me, you know,
 trying to, uh, 
develop this, uh,
 relationship with
 someone just because
--just because
 they were, uh, that…

That they--I’m sorry.

    (She’s trying not to get upset.)

I’m sorry.

    (A beat.)

So Q is wrong.  That’s 
what I wanted
 you to know.  She’s 
wrong about me
 favoring Fiona--or 
she’s wrong about
 why I favored her.

And I can tell her she’s 
wrong, but I 
can’t tell her why.

But I understand her 
need for--revenge.

I think, uh, I think every 
artist--whether
 they want to admit it 
or not--just about 
every artist meets 
somebody on the 
way up that they’d
 like to take down.  
It’s very difficult to,
 uh, be successful 
and not make enemies.
 It’s hard on 
the top and it’s hard 
on the bottom. It’s
 really, uh--you learn 
that, as you get 
older--that it’s really not
 easy anywhere.

God knows why 
we do it.

And if you’re an artist 
and you can’t think
 of anybody that you’d
 like to, uh, shrink 
down to size a little
 bit, well--

That probably means
 a lot of people 
hate your fucking guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment