Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I Should Have Kept My Secrets

I should have kept
My secrets

I should have told them to myself
Over and over again
And never to you

I should have never left them
Delivered them
Dropped them off
Like letters in a mailbox

To you

I should have carefully hidden them
Underneath the wallpaper
Plastered lightly
Peppered throughout conversations

Delicately left
In places you could see
Seeing as how
You'd never believe
I'd leave my secrets
Lying around
So carelessly

I should have put them on
Below my street clothes
And danced with them on
And flirted with them on
And made love with them on

If I knew you'd be gone
I'd have died with them on

But instead I handed them to you
To see what you would do with them

And now it's done
And I've run out of secrets

I didn't know I hid myself
In those secrets

I thought when you fall in love
You're supposed to hand over
The keys to the places
Where you keep
What you believe in

But I shouldn't have
I shouldn't have

I should have kept
My secrets

At least then
I'd still have something
That belongs
To me

No comments:

Post a Comment