Monday, July 5, 2010

That Was Red, This Is Blue

Some time long ago
In a place that never existed
There were two people who loved each other
And consequently destroyed each other
On a beach or the roof
Of a parking garage

I can't remember which

See, that was red
And this is blue

The red was dancing and dining
And loving and conspiring
Over what car to take to church

And red birds sing
And red birds fly
Above our happy happy red life

And we never bought anything
That we needed or even wanted

We filled a home with red love
And red children
And red joy

Remember that?

Remember all of that?

That was red
This is blue

And me and you and you and me
Wound up somewhere in this blue

Squares and circles
Time and change

Colors telling us to leave
Colors telling us what to do

Bookcases full of red
Full of words we never red
Full of red possibility
But really just you and me
You and me and me and you
And blue, lots and lots of blue

That was red
This is blue

It's a shame and it's a sin
A place to end and to begin

A revelation and an ignorance
A chance and not a chance at all
A baseball game
A race to tame the red within

You had smiles all full of blue
Thinking it was funny
To dance with danger

But I knew you'd get too close
And now close is miles away
We play in blue
We pay in blue too

That was red
This is blue

I never loved someone like you
Someone who faded into blue

Those were lies
And this was true

Which is which?

We never knew

No comments:

Post a Comment