Monday, September 13, 2010

Helen and the Basketball

My brother says I can't play basketball
My mother says 'Helen, put down the basketball'

But my dad taught me to play basketball
And I still know how

When we packed up the house in Mantina
I remembered to take the basketball
But I left my party dress behind

My brother drove to Fresno
And I sat in the back with my mom
While she cried

The new apartment had burned rugs
And a grey spot on the wall

My brother was going to sleep on the pull-out
While Mom and I shared a bed

And they said--'This is temporary'

But misery isn't temporary

Misery stretches on forever

At least the place had a basketball court

I tried out for the school team
When I should have gotten a job
At the Wendy's down the street

My mom asked me what school clothes I'm going to buy
Knowing how to play basketball

I said I'd wear my brother's jeans
And at least I'd still have something
That means something to me

Dad would have understood
But Mom just went in the bedroom
And slammed the door

Like a kid, I thought
Just like a kid

I went down to the court
Where my brother was practicing baskets

He heard I made the team
I heard he dropped out

He missed a basket
I grabbed the ball

He told me to pass it

I said 'You're not the only one who needs a dream, you know'

He said, 'Helen, you dream so loud it wakes you up at night'

He's right

I threw the ball
And walked away

I knew I made the shot

Don't ask me how

But I knew

No comments:

Post a Comment