Monday, January 7, 2019

All the Men Were Doing It

I can’t believe
You’re all trying to judge
An entire--it’s not a generation
It’s a population

It’s the entire population
Of the country
At a certain time

You want to have this
Big coming clean
About who we worked with
Back then

What do you think
My options were?

All the men were doing it
Dating children
It was--

You know, you rolled your eyes about it
But that was about all you did, because--

We were not supposed to be upset
When we found out
One of our guy friends
Was dating a fourteen-year-old

We were told
We were told
Granted, by the men, yes
And I get how that, but--

What I’m saying is
That there needs to be
A cultural agreement
That something is right or wrong
And at that time
Culturally
It was agreed
That men dating teenagers
Was totally fine

And yes, in the back of my mind,
I didn’t really think that
I didn’t really believe that
But I wasn’t going to be the one person
Screaming into the void
On the subject

Do you know what I mean?

And it was different back then
And I know that’s a cliche
But it really was
It was different

Fourteen back then
Was an adult
You were ready to be an adult

Hell, my mother had me at fourteen
So the idea that some dumb friend of mine
Who couldn’t even tie his damn shoes
Was too mature
For a fourteen-year-old
Was just crazy to me

And--and if I’m being honest

It still is

Now, I wouldn’t say I’d be okay
With a guy his age TODAY
Dating a girl that age TODAY
Because TODAY all these ages
And the emotional, uh, personality
Behind all these ages
Is very different

But back then
A fourteen-year-old girl
Was like a thirty-year-old woman today

That’s what I’m getting at
That’s what I’m trying to say

And I’m fine with judging people
By a different set of standards TODAY

But to crack open the history books
And start saying--

Well, you did this back then

I mean, nobody was raping anybody
Nobody was assaulting anybody

You’re all so big on consent
Well Jesus, we had consent up the wazoo
You know what I mean?

Everybody was consenting to everything
It was the sixties
Our favorite word was ‘Yes’

And we weren’t big on picking apart
What made somebody an adult
And what didn’t

We just said--

This guy vibes with this chick
This chick is into so-and-so

And we let the rest alone

It isn’t that way now
And that’s fine

But you don’t have--

You can’t just go back
And apply today
To yesterday, right?

I mean, that’s not cool

Everything was so different, you know?

That’s--

That’s what I keep coming back to, that--

That everything was just
So different

No comments:

Post a Comment