Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Why Should You Get There Any Sooner Than Me?

Yes, I’m going slow


I’m going slow
Because you’re behind me
Driving like you got
Somewhere to go


Well, I got somewhere to go too
But that doesn’t mean
I’m going to go faster
So you think you can go faster


You will get to where you’re going
After I get to where I’m going
Because I’m in front of you
And there’s an order to how
This is supposed to go


After all, why should you get there any sooner than me?


Because you’re important?
Are you more important than me?
You’re not more important than me
How do I know that?
I don’t
And I don’t care
I don’t care if you are more important


You could be on your way to see your wife
Giving birth in the hospital
And it doesn’t matter
Because you are behind me
And that means
I am getting
Where I need to go
First


That’s how this shook out
That’s how we do things


The person in front of me?


They’re going to get to where they need to go


And do I wish I was in front of them?


Yes


And I’m sure they wish
They were in front of somebody


Somebody’s always wishing
They were in front of somebody else


And there’s nothing wrong with that
It gives us all something
To aspire to


But the reality is
We all are
Where we are
And we’re not going to be anywhere
Other than there


So you speeding up
And driving crazy
And honking your horn
Is just going to make me mad
And making me mad means
I’m going to go slower
And even though that means
I’m going to get where I’m going
Later than I should
It means the natural order of things
Will be protected


Now I realize
You might not have as far to travel as I do
And if that’s the case
It’s all the more reason
For you not to be rushing
Because you’re already
Ahead of the game


But here you are


You’re rushing


And that means
It’s my duty
To slow you down a little bit


Force you to take a deep breath
Consider your life
Consider why you’re racing along


You could get into an accident
You could crash into me
You could kill me


And why?

So you can shave five minutes
Off your travel time?


I get it
Maybe you have to pee


I get that there are reasons
To move at a brisk pace
But nevertheless
I can’t move myself any faster
On your behalf


I just can’t do it


So I hope you’ll forgive me
But the fact is
You’re not getting anywhere
In less time
Because of me


I just can’t let that happen


In fact, I’m going to go a little slower
And--yup, there’s the horn again


Well go ahead and lean on it


Let me know how mad you are


It’s understandable to be mad
When you’re going to be very
Very
Late

No comments:

Post a Comment