Monday, January 7, 2019

Let's Steal Pineapples

Let’s steal pineapples today


I found this beach
With pineapples
Buried in the sand

And they belong to someone
But nobody knows who
And by the time the sun comes up
We can have them all
Cradled in our arms
At least five apiece
And run run run run run

I don’t have a better idea
For today
And the people I see on Friday’s
Say I need to keep myself busy
With something

I’m always plenty busy
Loving you
So…

But I told them how you spend weekends
On the couch
With the tv on mute
Asking me to bring you things
And I do
But it’s not good for me
Being cooped up

Nobody to talk to
Nowhere to go

That time when the sun goes down
And I only know about it
Because we have to turn the lights on
And we do
And the tv is still on
And we both get sleepy
And the next thing you know
It’s Monday
And I feel bad
Knowing we’re not going to get
All the weekends in the world
And we just lost one

We just lost…

So I found a beach
And it’s not far
And I don’t mind
Driving back there
And I can pay for gas
My grandma gave me money
And when we get there
There’s a little spot
Where you can put up a tent
And just camp for the night
And I thought that would be good

A little scary
But good

Good to be somewhere
Off a couch
With no tv

And we don’t need money for food
Because we can eat the pineapples we steal

If you’re worried about stealing
Don’t be
Because we’re good people
Just stealing
So we can survive
So it’s okay

That’s what I learned in church
And in school

It’s moral relativism
Do you know what that is?

I didn’t either
So you’re not stupid
If you don’t know

You’re not stupid at all

I just want to be a person
Doing an interesting thing
So when I go back on Friday
I can tell them
About this interesting thing I did
Over the weekend
And they’ll be so happy for me
And proud of me
And they’ll tell me how healthy I look
Because I got some sun
And fresh air

I don’t tell them about you
Because I don’t want them blaming you
For the stuff going on with you
Because it’s not your fault

But I want to help you
And I think--

I think it would help you
To get out of here
For a little bit

The same way it would help me

And that’s how you know
We’re together
And that we love each other

Because the same thing
Helps both of us

It’s just that both of us
Have to want it

We have to want the help

So let’s go steal pineapples
And then we can do other stuff

I’ll find other stuff for us to do

That’ll be my job, okay?

I can take care of it

I can take care
Of everything

No comments:

Post a Comment