Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Scrooge McDuck Explains Fiscal Responsibility

(A vault.)


SCROOGE:  --And he expects me to help with rent.


GIZMO:  Well, rent is pretty expensive in Duckburg.


SCROOGE:  Nobody helped me with rent
when I was starting out.


GIZMO:  Did Duey--


SCROOGE:  Huey.


GIZMO:  Did Huey say what kind of work he
wants to do?

SCROOGE:  Non-profit.  A phrase that makes no
sense to me whatsoever.


GIZMO:  It’s a noble field.


SCROOGE:  He’s not going to make any money.


GIZMO:  Not everybody is interested in making money.


SCROOGE:  People who need their uncles to
pay their rent should be.


GIZMO:  It’s not like you can’t afford it.


SCROOGE:  It’s got nothing to do with what
I can afford.  It’s about fiscal responsibility.


GIZMO:  How did you--uh, if you don’t mind me asking--


SCROOGE:  Yes, you can eat the gold.  
It’s good for you.


GIZMO:  Uh, I don’t think you--


SCROOGE:  But if you find a quarter, leave it be.  
Or better yet--throw it out. It’s just going to get in
the way of the real money.


GIZMO:  How did you get rich?

(A beat.)


SCROOGE:  That’s a rude thing to ask.


GIZMO:  I’m just curious.  Everybody is, actually.  
Nobody has any idea how you--Well, how you
have so much money.


SCROOGE:  I might say it’s none of your business.


GIZMO:  You could say that.


SCROOGE:  I might say that, but my nephews are
all asking me the same thing--greedy little duckers.


GIZMO:  Sooo?

(A beat.)


SCROOGE:  Pillows.


GIZMO:  Pillows?


SCROOGE:  Pillows. Me great-great-great
grandfather started a very successful pillow business
and I’ve been living on that money ever since.


GIZMO:  Then it’s not as if you...
worked for any of this.


SCROOGE:  Of course I did.


GIZMO:  You worked in the...pillow factory?

SCROOGE:  I did familial work.

GIZMO:  What does that mean?


SCROOGE:  It means my family worked
and now I have money.


GIZMO:  But you didn’t actually do anything.


SCROOGE:  I did something.


GIZMO:  What did you do?


SCROOGE:  I was related.  I related myself.


GIZMO:  That’s not a thing you did.


SCROOGE:  I disagree.


GIZMO:  Well, could Duey--


SCROOGE:  Huey.


GIZMO:  Could Huey say he related
himself to you?


(A beat.)


SCROOGE:  I wouldn’t accept him
as a relation.


GIZMO:  He’s your nephew.


SCROOGE:  All I have are nephews.  
And a brother. I think. I don’t know
what Donald is. Could be my wife
for all I know. All he does is jabber on
nonsensically.


GIZMO:  Is Donald Huey’s father?

SCROOGE:  No, he’s their uncle too.
I don’t know if they have parents.
I assume they must. A mother at least.


GIZMO:  But they’re not entitled to any
of the money you have?

SCROOGE:  No.


GIZMO:  But they’re from the same family as you.


SCROOGE:  We don’t know that.


GIZMO:  You’re sounding a little bit--


SCROOGE:  Yes?


(A beat.)


GIZMO:  Greedy.


SCROOGE:  You know, Gizmo, f I wasn’t
waist-deep in this pile of money, I would
swim through this vault full of gold and
slap the piss out of you.


GIZMO:  How much is your nephew’s rent
that you can’t--I mean, one handful of any
of this and you could probably buy him a house.


SCROOGE:  Oh sure! First it’s a
house, then it’s a car, then it’s clothing, then food--


GIZMO:  You’re actually going down in value.


SCROOGE:  Am I? I don’t really know
what anything costs.  Is food more or
less than the car?


GIZMO:  I just don’t think you’re the
person to be lecturing, well, anyone,
on fiscal responsibility.


SCROOGE:  But are you aware that I’m rich?


GIZMO:  That doesn’t mean anything.


SCROOGE:  It means I’m rich.


GIZMO:  But it doesn’t make you responsible.


SCROOGE:  I’m responsible for being rich.


GIZMO:  But not for getting rich.


SCROOGE:  That’s true.  I’ve never
gotten rich.  I’ve always just...been rich.


GIZMO:  And don’t you think that
obligates you to do nice things for
people?  At least for the people
related to you? Who love you?

SCROOGE:  If I have to do nice things
for everybody who loves me, I’ll be
doing things for--two, maybe even three people.
Maybe four people if I can ever find that goose
who showed up at the mansion saying
I was the father of her child.


GIZMO:  And would being nice to those people
be so bad?


SCROOGE:  They could be very needy
people, Gizmo.


GIZMO:  I think you need to pay Huey’s rent,
Scrooge.


SCROOGE:  But we could be talking about
hundreds of dollars here.


GIZMO:  You’re literally swimming in money.


SCROOGE:  Not really.  I can’t move a lot
right now because the gold is bunched up
around my chest, but--


GIZMO:  Pay the rent.


SCROOGE:  But--


GIZMO:  Pay the rent, pay the rent, pay the rent!


SCROOGE:  All right, fine!


GIZMO:  Great. That wasn’t so hard, was it?


SCROOGE:  It will be when I go to dive in here
a few months from now and the gold line is an
inch shorter.  At that point, I may as well move
into a cardboard box on the street and beg for change.


GIZMO:  When that day comes, you let me know,
Scrooge, and I’ll loan you some coins.


SCROOGE:  Oh Gizmo, you’ve got a giving heart.


GIZMO:  Thank you, Scrooge.


SCROOGE:  I guess if you’re going to be generous
with anything.  It should be with your heart.


GIZMO:  For most people, that's as generous
as they can afford to be.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment