Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Someone's on the Back Porch Yelling About Liberty

Someone’s on the back porch
Yelling about liberty


And we’re all supposed
To do something about it


I don’t know what they’re yelling about
And I don’t care to know


I can’t be going around
Asking people
Why they’re yelling about
What they’re yelling about


Everybody’s yelling about something nowadays
And if I go inquiring about what’s making
Everybody angry
I might as well make a profession out of it


It used to be that you closed your doors and windows
When you wanted to get worked up about something


But now people feel free
To just walk out onto their front yard
And yell nonsense at the clouds


Insanity


It’s not just for the insane anymore


Now everybody gets a turn


Most people
Most normal people
The few of us who are left
We just go on about our lives


That’s the only way you let the others know
That you’re not entertaining their little antics and tantrums


I’m not sure who raised
Most of these screamers
But when I was a kid
You could yell all you wanted
But if you thought
That was going to get anybody
To pay attention to you
Then you were sorely mistaken


To be truthful with you
I heard a few things
That person was yelling
About liberty and whatnot
And some of it was sort of interesting
But that’s no way to create a discourse


If you find yourself
With a particular point of view
About something
You write it up
And submit it to a newspaper
Or a magazine


You don’t just scream about it
While everybody’s
Trying to enjoy their lemonade
On a nice summer day


As soon as it’s nice out
Somebody finds something
To get pissed off about


Can’t we have one damn day
Where everybody
Just calms the hell down?


I don’t think that’s asking too much


Now I gotta sit in my house
With MY doors closed
And MY windows closed
And MY ears all shut up


Trying not to hear somebody
Go on about the state of affairs
In the grand land of liberty


This is why nobody can talk to each other anymore
Because everybody’s too busy yelling


Used to be you didn’t get anything out of yelling
Unless you were yelling AT somebody


Now it doesn’t even matter


People just want to yell


And if you don’t care
Who you’re yelling at
Why not just yell into a pillow
And save the rest of us
A little bit of a headache?


I don’t think that’s asking too much


The yelling will end eventually
And then after a few minutes of quiet
Somebody else will start up


It used to be that you let people
Wear themselves out
And then you got to go back
To a bit of your serenity


But now it never stops


There’s no break
No pause
Nothing but people taking turns
Screaming and howling


You know, sometimes
I wish I could remember
What nothing sounds like


Straight up nothing


I bet it was nice
I bet it was nicest sound

In the world

No comments:

Post a Comment