Monday, January 28, 2019

Play Penny Lover

Play Penny Lover for me

You know, when your mom and I finally decided to get hitched
We had already broken up three times

And then one day
We’re at this wedding
With other people
And there was this balcony--

The wedding was at this country club
And the reception was on the second floor
With this balcony you could--

Well, you get the idea

Your mom was out there on the balcony
And Penny Lover comes on

She’s in this blue dress
And she turns around
And it was like slow motion

Like something out of a movie

I’m all the way across the room
And the bozo she brought
Is drunk at the bar
Hitting on my date
And I didn’t give a damn about either of them

I didn’t give a damn about anything
But getting your mom to come dance with me

So I walk all the way across the room
And by the time I get to the balcony
The song’s halfway over
And your mom’s nowhere to be found

Now, I don’t know what came over me
But in that moment
I just...I gave up

I started to walk out
And right at the moment
The song--I swear to god
The song started over

From the beginning

And I heard somebody go--

Hey

I turn around
And there’s your mother

But she’s not in a blue dress
She’s--

She’s in a green dress

Still looking sexy as hell
But--oh stop
You know your mom’s a good-looking woman
Always has been too

But the dress was different

And I say to her--

Was that you out on the balcony?

And she says--

What are you talking about?

Because there’s no balcony

In that moment
I realized--

There’s no balcony

But I saw what I saw

And looking back
I know what it was

It was the future

It was this moment
Standing here
With you

Getting ready to walk you down the aisle
Second wedding means
You got a blue dress on

Well--that’s all right

You don’t always get it right the first time

And guess what?

It doesn’t mean a damn thing

You get it wrong
More than you get it right

But sometimes
If you’re lucky
The song starts over

And when it does
You get to dance
With the person
Who’s going to change your life
And make it better
Until it all goes to hell again

But you’re not thinking about that, right?

You’re just thinking about dancing
And what comes after the dancing

And if the music’s good
If they’re playing Penny Lover
Then maybe you’ll say
To hell with what comes after

Maybe you’ll just keep dancing
For as long

As you can

No comments:

Post a Comment