Wednesday, January 2, 2019

The Sheriff's Wife

I don’t know about new people
When they come in and whatnot
I just know what Vance tells me
And he didn’t say anything
About any new man in town


There’s nothing unusual about my husband
Coming home with some stains on his shirt

He’s a messy eater
And a klutz
And sometimes he gets dirty
Like men get dirty


Nothing strange about that
As far as I’m concerned


All these people asking questions
Like they got rights


If they got rights
Who do you think gives them
Those rights?


My husband
Out there
Every day
Making sure we don’t have savages riding through
Skinning us in our own damn homes


I apologize for my fervor
But I get a little worked up
Sitting at my kitchen table
Having people ask me questions
About dead people
I don’t even know


You’re telling me
My husband is sitting in a jail cell
Two feet away from his own desk
And I’m supposed to act calm?
Answer your questions?
Be civil about it?


Would your wives be able to do that?


I’m old enough to remember
When things happened in this town
And if the people in charge
Felt that something could be let go
It was let go


Now we got a railroad coming through
And everybody has questions
About how things get done


Who cares how?

You don’t get to build a road
And use a road
And run your sorry horses
Up and down it
Then wait ten years
And ask how it got built


It doesn’t work that way, gentlemen


Time was my husband could make decisions
And he didn’t need to worry about some cabal
Coming around and picking at him about it


You want to be progressives, now?
Now that we’re all going to civilized
With railroads and fancy hats
And all kinds of strange people
Coming through here?

You think now’s the time
To start demonizing
The people who’ve been building the roads
This whole time?

You got a lot of nerve
I’ll tell you that


Now I don’t know if my husband
Knew this man
This new man in town
But if he saw fit
To shoot him
And cut out his tongue
And leave him out in that field
On the way out of town
Then he must have had his reasons


And I’m not interested
In what those reasons might be
Because I still got a job to do
Whether or not we get a railroad or not


See, your jobs are changing


That’s why you’re putting on nice clothes, Mitch
That’s why you’re writing in some little notebook, Paul
That’s why you’re sitting there with brand new spectacles, Frank


Because you’re new men


My husband ain’t a new man


He’s the same man he always was
Doing the same things he’s always done
And a lot of us are very happy about that


One dead man
And you want to turn this town
On its head


What about all the other dead men?
The ones you knew about?
The ones you didn’t have any problem with
Back when we were on our own?


You ever wonder about them, Mitch?
Paul?
Frank?


No, I didn’t think so


I guess you think
That after all these years
It’s time for a reckoning


You better be careful though, gentlemen


There’s no way to aim a reckoning at someone
Like a gun


A reckoning is like a fire

Once you start it
You got no idea

What it’s going to burn

No comments:

Post a Comment