Monday, January 21, 2019

I Won't Believe You

The problem is
That everybody thinks
They know someone
Who was falsely accused


Everybody says--


Oh yeah, we believe victims
But, uh, you know, my cousin got accused by this girl--


And am I saying
That no woman in history
Has ever falsely accused
A man?


No


No, I am not saying that


But statistically speaking
Not everyone
Who has a male relative
Who claims they were falsely accused
Can--do you see where I’m going with this?


So the fact is--


Somebody out there
Has a relative--


A father, a brother, somebody


Who is lying to their face
About assaulting
Or raping a woman


And the other problem is--


Okay, do you want to hear my solution?

This is--


Some might call this extreme
But this is what I would do


And I’m going to do it


One day
When I have a son
This is what I’m going to do


I’m going to say
To my son--


I will not believe you


That’s what I’m--


And I know maybe once I have a son maybe I’ll--


But I don’t think I will
I don’t think I’ll feel any differently
About this


I’m going to say to my son--


I will not believe you
If a woman
Accuses you
Of something like this


And I’m going to follow it up with--

So you better make sure
You are not even CLOSE
To being in a situation
Where it could even be conceivable
That you would wind up
Accused of something like that


Because maybe then
We’ll get somewhere


Because the fact is--


Men count on false accusations
The very, very small number of them
To shield themselves
When they actually do something wrong


And I don’t know what to do about that
So all I can think of is to say--


You know what?


We really will
Be unfair about all this


We really will say--

Yes, maybe you are innocent
But it doesn’t matter
Because statistically speaking
You are not innocent
And far more guilty men
Have gotten off with no consequences
And that is not right
That is not fair


So let’s--


Let’s err on the side of--


Your sorry ass is guilty


Let’s do that


Let’s try it for a few hundred years
And see if maybe it gets a few creeps
To watch their behavior a little better
Because there won’t even be a question
About whether or not they’ll be believed


What would happen
If we said to all men everywhere--


You will not be believed


Because, essentially
That’s what women have had to hear
For--uh, forever


So let’s flip the script, right?


Why not?


See what happens


It’s been one way for so long
Why not try it the other way


When you’ve been where I am
When you’ve heard what I’ve heard
And had, uh, my experiences?


You’re willing to try anything
To get it
To stop

No comments:

Post a Comment