Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Dropping Off Dan

I was dropping off Dan in Boston


Drove three hours
Dropped him off
Asked him if he needed anything
He said ‘No’
Gave him a hug
Turned around
Came home


Pretty easy


Nothing big to report


Except, you know
On the way there
He said, uh--


He was like--


I wish we were closer


And you know, that--


That took me by surprise


I wasn’t, uh
I wasn’t expecting that


His Mom--


His Mom was always, uh--


She was good with that
Making everybody feel--


Everybody in the family
Feel like a--


Like a family, you know?


So when we lost her
I just--


It was all on me
To sort of, uh
Take over
In that regard, and uh--


I don’t think I did
A very good job


I love my kids
I love all my kids
But, uh, you know
Missy sort of took over
When my wife left off
And she kind of became the de facto Mom
Which, uh, isn’t right, but--


And Joey
Joey just sort of keeps to himself
Never really needs anything
From anybody


But, uh, Dan
Dan really needed somebody
He, uh, he’s had some--


There have been some rough times
I’ll tell you that, and uh--


I’m not saying
Having his mom around
Would have fixed everything
But, uh, it--it would have helped, I think


He needed his mom, you know
Kid--Kids need a Mom and a Dad, I think
They need--


Hell, they need even more than that


They need a thousand people
Just to turn out all right
And, uh--


But he didn’t even have his Mom
And he really needed her
And he needed me to step up
And I--


I just couldn’t


I didn’t


I…


So I dropped him off
And he asked why we aren’t closer
And I--


All I could say was--


I’ll do better


You know, that’s--


That’s all I could say, but, uh--


You know what the great thing about my kid is?
The great thing about Dan?


Here’s me
Saying this thing
And I don’t know if I can do it
And there’s no reason to believe I can do it
But, uh, he still--


He still looks at me like I can do it


Like, maybe I can pull it off


He believes in me


Kid has a hell of a time loving me
And I don’t blame him, but--


After everything he’s been through
He still believes in people


He believes in his Dad
And, uh--


I don’t know


I don’t know, man


I bet he gets that

From his Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment