Tuesday, November 17, 2020

How Do You Afford These Kids?

How do you afford

These kids?


It’s not a judgment

I know you work

I know your husband works


But I work

My husband works

And I gotta tell you

We can barely afford ourselves

And the thing is

I think

And I could be wrong

But I think

That you make

Pretty much what I make

And my husband

And your husband

Have pretty much

The same job

And I know

There is no WAY

We can afford kids

Like not a chance

Not that we want them

We don’t

But even if we did

We couldn’t

And so I look at you

And I’m like--


HOW?

Ask my husband


I will be up at night

Just asking ‘How?’

And he’ll tell me

To go to sleep

But I can’t

Because I cannot

Wrap my brain

Around how

You have kids


And not one kid

I mean

We couldn’t afford

One kid

Forget about it

But if you put

A gun to my head

Maybe I could figure out

How not to let

One kid starve

And somehow

Get clothes on the kid

But you have THREE kids


THREE KIDS

It’s impossible to me


Three kids?


We’d need millions

Do you have millions?

You can’t have millions


You might have

A little more than us

Or even a bit more than

A little bit more

Than us

But there’s no way

You have THAT much more


Three kids?


Impossible


I’ve stopped eating

Thinking about this


I cannot eat

Thinking about

How you have three kids


Are your kids eating?
Do you feed the kids?


You seem like a great parent

I see the photos you post

The photos are great

The kids aren’t smiling

But what does that mean?

I don’t know

What that means


I don’t know anything

About kids


All I know is

That I can’t afford them


And I suspect

You can’t either


Not that it’s any

Of my business

I’m just really

Really

Interested

As to how

You’re not pulling your hair out

And run through with debt


I mean, you must have debt, right?


I can’t imagine

You not having debt


I mean, I have debt

Me and my husband

We have debt

And we don’t even have

Any kids


To have debt

And kids?

Although I guess

For you

It must be one

And the same


Is that what it’s like?

I’d just really love

To know

What it’s like

No comments:

Post a Comment