Thursday, November 12, 2020

The Genghis Khan Paternity Test

      (An office.  GK is sitting across from MISSY, at her desk.)

MISSY:  I just don't understand why you would be so careless.

GK:  Listen, we didn't have wills back then. We were roaming the earth and burning down villages. We didn't have time to think about how we wanted our inheritance distributed.

MISSY:  Well now you have billions of relatives and you owe all of them contributions.

GK:  Why?

MISSY:  Because you're their ancestor and you're very famous.

GK:  I really don't think I'm related to that many people.

MISSY:  Do you want to see the DNA results?

GK:  I...don't.

MISSY:  Okay, because I have them here--

GK:  I'd really rather--

MISSY:  You are related to...pretty much everyone.

GK:  Well I'm sure if you go back far enough--

MISSY:  No, because we tested Morda Khan and he has no living descendants.

GK:  Well, have you met Morda Khan?

MISSY:  No, I--

GK:  He chews with his mouth open.

MISSY:  Okay, well that's--

GK:  Probably best the family name died with him, you know what I mean?

MISSY:  Genghis, you have a fiscal responsibility here.

GK:  I don't even know most of these people.

MISSY:  Lindsey Beth Franklin?

GK:  You think I would be related to somebody named Lindsey Beth Franklin?

MISSY:  Her mother is Olivia Franklin.

GK:  Was her great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother named Shesa?

MISSY:  Yes.

GK:  Oh wow, okay, yeah, she's mine.

MISSY:  She owes fourteen hundred dollars in credit card debt.

GK:  I don't have it.

MISSY:  You were the most powerful person on the planet.

GK:  Yeah, thousands of years ago.

MISSY:  If you didn't want to take care of the entire world, you shouldn't have procreated with the entire world.

GK:  How do you know I'm the father of everyone's great-great-great-great-

MISSY:  Again, the paternity--

GK:  You know, I had a brother. Does this DNA thing mean he could--

MISSY:  Was he a twin?

GK:  No.

MISSY:  Then no.

GK:  Wow, if I had known the future was going to have so many narcs in it, I would have stayed dead.

MISSY:  We can set up a payment plan for you. Do you want visitation? One of your descendants is ninety and she'd love to see you.

GK:  Are any of my descendants wealthy?

MISSY:  A few.

GK:  Do I get any of their money?

MISSY:  No, it doesn't work that way.

GK:  Am I allowed to try taking over the world again?

MISSY:  Do you want to take over the world?

GK:  Maybe.

MISSY:  Have you seen the world lately?

     (A beat.)

GK:  Can we make the payments automatic?

MISSY:  I just need your banking information.

GK:  Hey, do you know if Shesa is still--

MISSY:  She got eaten by a sabertooth tiger before they went extinct.

GK:  I always told her to stay away from those caves.

     End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment