Sunday, November 15, 2020

I Had a Dream I Went to a Chicken Place in New York City

I had a dream

I went to a chicken place

In New York City


I’d never been

To the chicken place before


I don’t really go

To chicken places


I don’t have

Anything against

Chicken

Or the places

Who love them

But it’s just not something

I make it a point to do


But in dreams

You do things

And in this dream

I’m in New York

And I’m at a chicken place


I have no idea

How I know it’s New York

But the thing about New York

Even if you’ve never been

To New York

Is that you know

When you’re in

New York


I should say

That I have not been

To New York

In almost a year


It’s the longest I’ve gone

Without going to New York

Since I was a lot younger

Than I am now


I used to go to New York

For reasons

That had to do with me


There were things

I like about New York

That are not available

To me

Right now


But I never thought

About New York

In those terms


In terms of

What it had

To offer me


It’s strange

That we never think about

What we take from places

When we’re able

To drop in

And leave

And we think about

Using people

Right?


We think about

How we shouldn’t

Use people

And take

But

We don’t think about

Places

That way


What it means

To show up somewhere

Drink in its bars

Eat in its restaurants

Move about

Like we’re in a bubble

That we brought from home

And keep ourselves

Separate

From the place we’re in


And what does that say

About us

And how we live

And how would we--


Would we even call that

Traveling?


Would that constitute

Saying

That we enjoy

Traveling to places?


This chicken place

It seemed nice

It seemed like

I really enjoyed

The chicken
I was eating there


I should go find

A chicken place

Like that

The next time

I’m in New York


I should try

To think about

What I can give

To a place

The next time

I’m there


Maybe a conversation

With someone who lives there


Maybe see a place

That isn’t the place

Everybody else sees


Maybe it’s something

I’m going to have to

Dream about first


Maybe that’s

The way

To do it

No comments:

Post a Comment