Friday, November 20, 2020

I'm Going to Sing at His Wedding

I’m going to sing

At his wedding


He asked me

And it’s been--


I mean, it’s been

Fourteen years


And things ended--


They didn’t end badly

They just didn’t end well


If anything

Can end well


Nothing’s ever

Ended well for me

But I know sometimes

Things end well

For people

But yeah

With me and him

It didn’t end well


I hadn’t kept in touch with him

To be honest with you

And then a few weeks ago

He added me

On the computer

And I got all excited

Thinking he wanted to catch up

And then I see

He’s engaged


I go ‘Okay, that’s nice’

I don’t think anything of it

But then he messages me

And tells me

He’s getting married

And do I want to sing at the wedding

If I’m still singing


Now, truthfully,

I haven’t sung

In years


Not for money
I go down to Frankie’s

And I’ll sing when they do karaoke

But that’s it


I don’t do weddings

Or functions

Like I used to
Like when my father

Would have me sing

At his event hall

For the veteran’s

Or that kind of thing


But I still know the words

So I said ‘Sure’

And I found my old sheet music

And he was going to have a band

Gave me the number

I connected with the guy

And we talked about

What I could sing


And little did I know

I was doing

The first dance

The one with the bride and groom


I’m wondering

What he’s telling

This bride of his

About me

And who I am

And why he wants me

Singing at the wedding

But maybe she didn’t ask


I always asked everything

I was curious

I was the curious type

Maybe that’s why

It didn’t work

With me and him


I decided to sing

‘All the Way’

The way Sinatra did it

Because I figured

They would like that


Somebody asked me

If I was going to be sad

Standing up there

Singing to him and her


But I don’t get sad

About things like that


I’m not going to be

Thinking about

How I could be dancing

With him

Because I could be

Dancing

With a lot of people


It just didn’t shake out

That way


It could be

That they’ll be dancing

And they’ll think--


Wow, we could be up there

Singing right now


You never know

If you’re standing somewhere

Somebody else

Would want to be, you know?


And you shouldn’t

Try thinking about that

While you’re singing


Takes away from the song


And you don’t want

To do that

No comments:

Post a Comment