Friday, November 13, 2020

The Crow I've Known Before

Oh hi!


Hey, yeah

I don’t know if you remember me


Pippy?


Pippy the Crow?


Yeahhhhh


Hiiiiiii


Oh no

No, no


It was a long time ago


Ten? Twelve years?

Fourteen maybe?


I mean, I remember

Because I’m a--


Oh yeah

Crows can remember faces

We have a great--


No, it’s fine

I mean, listen

We’ve all changed

We’re not the same people

Or birds we were

All those years ago, right?


I mean, sure

It would have been nice of you

To return a phone call

But listen

It’s not a big deal


I mean, yeah

I thought we had a nice time

Out in the park

You throwing bread

On the ground

Me eating it

The sun going down

Over the trees

While you sat on that bench

Telling me all about

What a bitch your ex was

And how everything wrong in your life

Was because of her

And I’m over here like--


Wow, this guy

Is really opening up to me

I’m so glad

I get to heal his heart

After what his ex

Did to him


Little did I know

That as soon as you were done

Using me as your freelance therapist

You were going to get up

And walk right out of my life


And the worst part is?


You took the bread

With you


That’s the part

That really hurt, man

I’m not going to lie to you


I had a murder that day
That I could have been hanging out with

And instead

I spent a perfectly good afternoon

Listening to you whine and complain

And then I looked up your ex

On social media

And I gotta tell you

She seems like a lovely person


I bet she wouldn’t forget

To call somebody back

After spending two hours with them

Basking in the glow

Of the horizon

And reflecting on the gorgeous haze

Of the afternoon


But you know

I haven’t been thinking about it

Too many times

Over the year


I’ve got way too much
Going on


Traveling

Flying all over

I go from one telephone wire

To another

Sometimes three or four

In one day


I have my friends

I have people

Who care about me


So yeah

I don’t really anybody

Doing me the favor

Of acting like a decent

Human being

But you know

For you to walk up to me

And look at me

Like a total stranger

Just because you think

All crows are interchangeable

Is really something else, man

I gotta say


But anyway

You have a nice life


Just remember

The next time you throw bread

On the ground


I want you to remember

That means something

No comments:

Post a Comment