Monday, October 25, 2010

Every Other Sunday

Every other Sunday

I wake up to you in the living room

Watching tv with the sound down low

And looking scared



Wondering when I'm coming down

To announce my Sunday plans

To let you know that you can stay

That I mind, that it's okay

Knowing full well you won't



You throw sneakers on

And kiss my cheek

And say you'll call tomorrow



Catch that movie that we wanna see?



Yeah, that sounds great



And then I watch your call pull away

And let out relief



I keep wondering how it is

You woke up here again



Did I want you to

Or did I just not feel like

Spending Saturday night

Once again explaining

About us and our and we and you and me



All the pronouns disappear

If I just let you remain here



And the friendship that we have

Becomes a little hard to see



All my girlfriends ask me

Why I'm keeping you around

We go weeks without a word

Then you find your way inside my lips



This isn't leading anywhere

This isn't casual enough

There's stuff between from years before

We left sitting like a spill on the floor



I go to work and see the guy I'd like to date

Last week he was out but you were next to me



It must suck to be the Almost Guy

And never wonder why you can't complete



And I felt bad

And I was mad at your proximity



To my life

To my feelings

To my history

Just to me



Tell me you don't love me

Let me know this isn't as bad

As I know I've let it be



I can't rewind the calendar

I wish I'd saved the dates

Instead of throwing them away

And saying 'Well, I'll start today'



I start and end and start all over again

Every other Sunday



Next Saturday you'll be at my front door

With pizza and a movie

Or maybe we'll go out

And confuse the people around us

Who hear us bitch about each other

In between the weekends



Or maybe I'll just let the doorbell

Ring and ring and ring...



Maybe you'll stand out there

And in the light of my porch

Give up on me



Maybe I'll look out my window

See you drive away

And know that finally you're complete



I keep praying that one day

You'll leave me



That I'll wake up and hear something other

Than a quiet tv



Every other Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment