Tuesday, October 19, 2010

New York Rain

I used to love New York rain

Bryan and I would be out on the streets
And it'd start to rain
And he'd pull me against his chest
And duck his head down
All the while keeping his eyes up

All of which does absolutely nothing to keep you dry, but...

But it's sweet

It was...very sweet

Now I carry an umbrella
And I stay dry
But I feel...cold

I feel like the rain's getting to me
Even as it's bouncing off me while I walk

I feel like stone now
Whereas before I was part of the rain
I was part of an experience

Me, New York, Bryan, rain
The two of us in a little apartment
Falling inside like the rain was chasing us
Making warm soup and watching tv
Being late for class
Because we couldn't decide which kiss
Should be the last kiss

And when he decided, I didn't know

I came home, and he'd gone back to Boston
To work at a restaurant his dad opened

I guess it rained a little too much here that year
I guess protecting me from all of it became...too difficult

So now it's just me
And my umbrella
And an apartment that seems much larger
And two years left of school
And the rain

It's funny--I used to love New York rain

But now it feels like it's raining
All the time

No comments:

Post a Comment