Saturday, April 21, 2018

A Dirty Old Ice Cream Truck

See, in Scoville
We don’t get the nice
Ice cream truck

We get the dirty old
Ice cream truck

The one with the letters
All rubbed off
And the fourth wheel
All different
Like they stole it
From another ice cream truck

July comes
And it’s a hundred degrees
And your mom’s air conditioner
Is broke again
So you’re just sitting out in the front yard
On the two square feet
That isn’t straight up dirt
And you just stare at your toes
Like they’re going to do something interesting

Then the dirty old ice cream truck comes by

And the guy driving it
Is always somebody new

At some point
Every asshole in Scoville
Drove that ice cream truck

My cousin Joey drove it
After he got out of prison

Joey’s buddy Matt took over
When Joey went back to prison

After Matt it was Nick
With the bison tattoo

Danny with the gambling problem
Then Aaron with the drinking problem
Then Danny again for a little while
Then Bobby who used to sell his dad’s pain pills
To freshman at the high school

Don't get me wrong
Driving the ice cream truck
Did have its perks

You’d get a girlfriend for a few weeks
Usually some girl too young for you
Who just needed a ride around town

You’d get free ice cream
If you were brave enough
To eat it
Even though everybody knew
It was the cheap stuff
Shipped over from Pakistan

You’d get something to do
On the long summer days
When everybody else was just sitting around
Trying not to get into trouble

One day I rode in the back of the truck
When my fuck-up older brother
Had his turn in the driver’s seat

My father told him
If he couldn’t hold down a job
For the whole summer
He was getting his ass
Thrown out on the street

I told my father nobody drove the truck
For longer than two weeks
Let alone a whole summer
But my old man said my brother would break that tradition
Or get his back broken out in the real world

My brother was a week and half in the driver’s seat
The day I went riding with him
And I could tell it would be a miracle
If he lasted the rest of the afternoon

My brother and jobs
Didn’t go well together

And twenty years after he drove
The dirty ice cream truck
He would drive his car into a tree
As a way of ending
A lifetime of disappointment

Instead all he got were a few broken ribs
And two months recuperating
In my living room

I should have guessed that day
On the ride-along
That we were headed
For a lifetime
Of me propping him up
And him getting life spoon-fed to him
By his baby brother

That day I took all the orders
Handed out the ice cream
And hid the money from him
So he wouldn’t be tempted to pocket any of it

I gave him directions
So we wouldn’t have to drive
Past where the speed-traps were
Because I knew
He was driving with a fake license

It was good enough
To get him this job
Because the guy hiring him
To drive the truck
Didn't really care

But it wasn’t going to fool
A real police officer

We got through the afternoon
And I told him if he gave me a cut from now on
I’d keep hanging out in the back of the truck
And make sure he didn’t wind up homeless
Before he could start junior year
For the second time

I didn’t know that the next day
My brother’s room would be empty
With a note saying
He was going to California

He never made it that far
But he did spend a few good years in Montana
Helping this guy out on his farm
Before his bad habits
Bit him in the behind again

Every time I hear an ice cream truck
Or see one sliding down the street
Where I live now
I think of my older brother and me

Going all over Scoville
Then taking an unapproved trip
To the lake
In that dirty piece of junk

We treated ourselves
To two sundae cups
And watched the kids younger than us
Throwing themselves in the deep end of the lake
Where they found that body six years later

At the time I remember thinking those kids were babies
But now I realize they were just two or three years
Younger than me

Funny how old people seem
Depending on where you see them

Funny how things look
When you’re remembering them
Instead of living with them

I wouldn’t mind another run on that truck
With my brother

We haven’t talked since he got back on his feet
And walked out of my living room
With nothing but a bag full of sandwiches
From my wife
And two hundred bucks from me

I’d like to not think about him so much
But some things you can’t help

Some things just stick with you
Whether you want them to
Or not

No comments:

Post a Comment