Thursday, April 12, 2018

Cruel and Quiet

Oh he was that special kind of cruel, you know

Cruel and quiet?

You’d do something
He didn’t like
And he’d um, with his cigarette
Uh, he’d put it down
And look you up and down
And boy oh boy
You knew
You were in for it

Not a beating

I got beatings before

My daddy used to beat
The shit out of me
So I can take a beating
And I’m proud of that

Some people get all embarrassed
Talking about their parents beating them

Not me

I like that I can take a punch

Never know when that’s
Going to come in handy

And it does
When you’re a guy
And you go with other guys

Because people might give a shit
About a girl getting beat
But they see a guy
Beating up another guy
And they figure he deserves it

Maybe he mouthed off or something

Then they just turn
And look someplace else
So they don’t get their ass beat too

But this guy?

He didn’t beat me
Didn’t seem interested in that

And that’s how I should have guessed
I was dealing
With a real psychopath

Somebody who passes up
A chance to beat somebody
Who doesn’t mind getting beat
Really has a screw loose in 'em
If you ask me

Instead he’d wait
And sort of…percolate?

Like a coffeemaker, you know?

He’d go bubble bubble bubble
And then a week later
He’d come out with a jab
That would knock your lungs out

I mean, he knew the buttons

He looked at you
And he just knew
What to say
To get you
Really upside down

Damn, sometimes I thought about hitting him
And I’m not a violent person at all

Not at all

But he’d say something about something
And my eyes would go sideways
And I’d really want to turn his ass out

But I didn’t

Just couldn’t get over it
How he could hurt me
In that way
I’d never been hurt before

And the truth was…

I started to like being hurt

I don’t think the folks at the counseling center
Would want me to admit that
But it’s true

He’d ding me real good
And I'd actually start to shiver a little bit

I used to hurt myself sometimes
When I was younger
But I cut that out
Once my dad caught me
Because he hurt me ten times worse
Than I could ever hurt myself
And he didn't like me
Doing anything for myself
He could do for me

After he found out
He was all over my ass

Then I started dating the psychopath
And he’d hit my buttons so good

Fuck

Feels messed up to admit it, but…

Just felt familiar to me

My dad died two years
After I left home
And I didn’t say word one to him
After he told me
To get the fuck out of his house so—

To be hurt as good as he used to hurt me?

Damn, you know

It just…

It just felt like home

No comments:

Post a Comment