Sunday, April 8, 2018

A Feeling's a Feeling

These people just drive to Chicago
Like it’s no big deal


My sister
She’s like that


Drives to Chicago
Like it’s nothing


She says--


Oh, you live right outside the city


I say--


It’s forty-five minutes
It’s not right outside the city


I see her
On my phone
All the time
Taking pictures of herself
In Chicago


Excuse me, Miss Bigshot
But some of us work, you know?
Some of us have jobs


Not that she doesn’t work
But she doesn’t have a job
Not really


She’s a photographer


Photography isn’t work


You know how I know that?


Because wherever she goes
She’s always taking pictures of herself
On her phone


Even when she’s not working


And nobody would ever do that much work
When they’re not working
If what they did
Was really work


That’s how I feel about it
And a feeling’s a feeling


And she’s always
In Chicago


Every Friday, she’s in Chicago
Every Saturday, she’s in Chicago
Sometimes Sunday
For brunch
Like she’s Queen Lucille Ball
Or something


Sometimes she’s there during the week!


I say to her--


Aren’t you tired?
Aren’t you exhausted?
I’m exhausted just looking at you


She goes--


It’s fun


You know what’s fun for me?

Getting to take a two-minute shower
Without one of my kids
Jumping off the roof


That’s fun


You know how many times
I’ve been in the emergency room
With my hair still wet
Because one of my little geniuses
Thought it would be funny
To see how many Q-tips
They could get in their ear at once?


There’s nothing wrong with having kids
But unless you have kids
You don’t understand what it’s like to have kids


That’s how I feel about it
And a feeling’s a feeling


And there’s nothing wrong
With going to Chicago
But I don’t understand these people
Who act like it’s no big thing
And go there alll the time
And travel
And spend two hundred dollars on dinner
And never get married
And take photos of themselves in the ocean
Without worrying
About dropping their phone in the water
And ruining it
And god only knows
What those phones cost
And I wouldn’t know
Because I don’t have a phone
Because the guy on the news told me
The CDC listens in on all our calls


So I don’t have one
And I don’t go in the ocean
And I don’t eat
And I don’t go to Chicago


And that’s how I feel about it
And a feeling’s a feeling


And, by the way, I’m very happy


Very, very happy
Couldn’t be happier


And if you ask me
My sister’s not happy


Oh, she says she is
She looks like she is
She acts like she is
Her skin looks great
She donates to charity
And I haven’t seen her frown in ten years
But if you ask me
Underneath all that

She’s miserable


Totally miserable


And I could be wrong
But I got a feeling


And you know what they say?

A feeling’s a feeling

So that’s how I feel

No comments:

Post a Comment