Sunday, April 29, 2018

A Name I Call Myself

You have to understand
That I’m not white
To everyone


Let’s just take it off
Geography, okay?


Egypt is in Africa


So I’m African


That’s just how maps work


And I’m not being flippant
About all this
I’m saying that, uh
I got here, to America
When I was--what?
Nine-years-old?


So I already feel like--the other?


You know?


I don’t really feel--


I mean, I barely feel American
Let alone like a, like a--


White person


But, okay, I get that
I appear white
I get that


And I get that appearing white
Means I have some of the privileges
That white people have


But, objectively
I am--


Because, like, where I’m from
Is closer to Nairobi
Than it is to America
So let’s just keep that in mind


Now, here’s this program
That I want to get into
And they take twelve writers, okay?

Twelve


And I don’t get in
And I just say what I’m feeling


I go online and I say--


The program doesn’t have
Much diversity in it


And I get this really urgent response back
From one of the, uh, you know
Someone who did get in
And they’re Asian-American
And they were like--


This is so wrong


And I was like--


Listen, out of the twelve
There are three African-American students
The Asian student
A Latinx student
And the rest all look like they could be von Trapp’s


Blonde, pale, Scandanavian slash Mormon
Looking young men and women, okay?

And everyone in the program
Including the minority students
Is gorgeous
But we’ll get to that in a second


For right now, let’s just say that--


This Asian-American student
Thought I was talking about
Tokenism
And they were saying
That there’s no tokenism
Because, like, almost half
Aren’t white


But, like, don’t you think
That’s intentional?

Don’t they think they had just enough minority students
So that it clearly wasn’t tokenism
But not enough
To actually have people be like--


Wow, this school is actively
Searching for real talent
And real perspectives
And not just covering their asses
And then letting in the white kids
They really want to let in


Because diversity isn’t just--
Or shouldn’t be just--


Here’s this group of minority students
And then the rest are all goatherders


Like, what about the overall look
Of a group of people?


Yes to the minority students
But, remember what I said about gorgeous?
How gorgeous they all are?


This program is looking
To graduate people
Who can be on The Today Show
Really setting the world
Of Manhattan on fire
But not necessarily offering
Real life perspectives


Diversity should be minorities, yes
But it should also be, like, people with weight issues
With fucked up skin
With, like, bad teeth
And different hair colors
And ambiguous backgrounds
And Greeks and Italians
And Native Americans
And, and, and--


And Egyptians, yes


It’s just bullshit
It’s just total bullshit


They’re not making a difference
They’re not trying
They’re not even taking in the best people
Because the minority students they did take
Aren’t even that good
But they don’t know that
Because they don’t really care
Because they only really care
About the students they actually want to succeed
The von Trapp’s


And it’s a travesty


It’s a fucking travesty


And I don’t--


I don’t know what to say about it


I don’t even know
What to say

About it

No comments:

Post a Comment