Wednesday, April 18, 2018

A Paper Day

The thing is
Every day
I would write down
What I’d like to do that day


Sorry, not true


At the end of the day
I would write down
What I would like
To have done
That day


It’s this thing
I read about
In this book
About, uh
Leading a better life


So I tried it


I guess the idea is--


And this happens
By the way
It’s true


Uh, the idea is--


When you start
Everything’s very, uh, fanciful


Right before you go to bed
You think about how
That day
You got up
You went to the office
You came home
You had some dinner
You went to bed


And so you write down--


I would have liked
To have woken up
In Miami
Gone down to the beach
Read a book
While looking at the ocean


Dinner at a nice seafood place
Again, right on the ocean
Come home
To some beautiful houseboat
Make love to my beautiful spouse
And then fall asleep
With a big old smile on my face


Crazy stuff, you know?


Like, the lottery version
Of your life


And every night you do this
And eventually
You get bored
Writing the amazing versions of your day


I mean, it’s fun
But eventually
You start to think about
Other ways your day could go


Aside from just
This day that's just
Beyond incredibly awesome


Like--


You think
Maybe today could have been...

...Sort of awesome?


And even
Sort of okay?


And finally
You wind up writing stuff like--


Went to dinner at that place
I drive by every day
On my way home
That I always say
I’m going to try


Or


Called up a friend
I haven't talked to in awhile
And asked them
If they wanted to get a drink


Or


Drove for awhile
With no destination in mind


See, eventually
You wind up writing
A slightly better version of your life
That’s, uh, attainable?


That doesn’t seem
Like a fantasy


It’s incredible, really
But it’s also, uh, well--


Honestly, pretty scary


Because, once you see how little it is
That you really want out of life--


Fun
Satisfaction
Just some, uh
Basic enjoyment


It’s hard to justify not--


Making it a reality


It’s hard to keep writing about it
Without trying to live it


That’s what happened to me


I started trying to live it


Trying to anyway, but, uh…


Well


Maybe eventually I’ll have such a good day
That right before I go to sleep
I’ll realize--


--I don’t have anything to write about

Imagine having a day like that

No comments:

Post a Comment