Monday, April 30, 2018

What She Writes About

She’s writing about gay people
And it really--

I don’t know what to tell her
I really don’t

I don’t think she has the right
And that’s--

And I know she loves gay people
I know she--

I mean, the way she loves gay people
Is kind of--

Ugh, I don’t want to say
It’s problematic
But, it’s like, intensely problematic
Because she talks about us
Like, we’re her pets or something

I mean that
I really do
It’s that, sort of, diminutive

It’s very minimalizing or--

Probably wrong words here

But you get what I mean

So now she’s sitting there
At this dinner we’re at
Telling me how she’s writing this book
About gay people
And I shared this look
With Michael across the table like--

Are you hearing this?

Because it just seemed odd to us

I could tell
That it just seemed
Weird
To the both of us

Because--

Who is she?

You know?

Who is she
Who is--

Who are all these people
Who suddenly think--

I mean, suddenly
Everybody can write
About gay people

Michael had that spec script
That he couldn’t get anybody to look at
And he’s gay

But this girl
Can just sit down and write a--

Whatever the hell she wrote

And it’s fine?

It’s fine?

No, I’m sorry

It’s not fine

We’ve sort of had this--

Uh, uh

Feeling?

In society
Right now
That, that--

That certain people
Can’t tell certain stories

But we’ve, like, not gotten there--

I guess

--with gay people

And gay stories
And gay people
And gay, uh, characters

It’s just open field
With gay people I guess

Everybody gets a crack at it

I mean, who is she?

Who is she?

To just be like--

I’m writing about gay people

Like we’re some lost tribe
Of the Amazon
Or something

She can write about
Whatever she wants

But somebody ought to say something

I don’t know who

But somebody ought to say something about it

Because I really can’t

Because, uh, if I do?

If I say something

I mean, uh--

Yeah

Trust me

You don’t want me

Saying anything

No comments:

Post a Comment