Monday, April 9, 2018

Pregnant in Alaska

Of all the places in the world
To be pregnant
You had to go
Getting pregnant
In Alaska

If I had known
That was where
You were going to
Get yourself knocked up
I would have let you stick around Tilly
And have my grandson
Somewhere sensible

Somewhere warm

Don’t tell me it’s warm in Alaska
I’m not some dumb hick
Just because I didn’t go to college

I know where it’s warm
And where it’s cold
And I know where it’s dark
And I know it’s dark in Alaska
Because that’s where that vampire documentary happened

Your dad’s not stupid, little girl
Tilly might be full of stupid people
But I am not one of them
I can assure you of that

Now your boyfriend on the other hand
He’s some of Tilly’s finest stupid
Dragging you halfway across the world
Just so you two can prove a point

I'm not saying I don’t like him
I like him just fine
Despite his stupidity
And his inability to hold down a job
Or do anything other than
Steal my daughter from me
And move her to Snowman Land

He reminds me of me in a way

Your grandfather hated me, you know
He thought I was the devil incarnate
And back then
I very much was

But even I didn’t go taking your mother
To Siberia

Two streets over
From where we both grew up
Was far enough for me

Your grandmother used to bitch
Every time I’d call her
To come by and change a diaper
So I could give your momma a break
While I watched The Price is Right

I was a lot of things
But inconsiderate
Wasn’t one of ‘em

You want to know a secret?

Your momma says you ain’t even in Alaska

She says you’re somewhere else
And I’m just telling myself it’s Alaska
Because you won’t call
And tell me
Where you really are

She says I gotta stop sitting by the window
And looking at my phone
And checking the mail
Like you’d send me a letter
When nobody does that anymore

Your momma says I brought this all on myself
By having old-fashioned ideas
About fathers and daughters
And talking about women
Like they’re property
Instead of human beings
Who fall in love
And have babies
And make the same mistakes
Everybody makes

She says if I had been more modern
You’d still be here
Instead of god-knows-where

And I tell her it ain’t god-knows-where
It’s Alaska

My baby’s in Alaska
Getting ready
To have her own baby

And privately
In my own thoughts
I tell myself
You’re not doing so bad

I picture you
In a little house
With a fireplace
And a nice window
Looking out at a little town

With a diner
And a coffeeshop
And some places to buy books
And furniture

I picture that boy of yours
Out working on a fishing boat or something
Making some money
Even if it’s not a lot

I think about you
Going to bed every night
With a smile on your face
While those pretty blue lights
Hang out in the sky
And the baby gives you a little kick
To know it’s there
And that it’s doing just fine

And maybe you think
About me and your momma
And all the folks in Tilly

Or maybe you don’t

But either way
You’re doing all right

Pregnant in Alaska
But doing all right

That’s all I think about nowadays

I can’t seem to think about
Anything else

No comments:

Post a Comment