Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Remembering the Note

This used to be a marker
For me


This time of year
Usually
I’m sitting at my desk
And I remember
What it is


What day, or just--


The week
The week it is


This was the week
I came home six years ago
And there he was
Holding a note


The note he was going to leave me
Before he left
But--


Then he forgot to leave


Or he chickened out
Whatever
The point is
He was standing there
Holding a note


A note
Explaining
Why
He was going to leave


Why he was going to leave me


And I got there
And I, uh
Sat down
At the kitchen table
And he read me the note


He read me
The fucking
Note


Then he left


And that’s what time of year this is


Usually


For years


The weather would get a certain way
The sun would start to feel warmer
The wind would get a little less colder
And I would get violently, irrationally ill


Because--


Because it’s like my body knew
That this
Is the time
Of the Note


And every year
Without fail
No matter how great
Everything might be going


Suddenly


Everything sucks


Because I have this reminder
This--intrinsic like, organic
Biological reminder
Built into myself


That at one point
Somebody not only left me
But, like, sat me down
And explained to me
Why I
Am not worth
Sticking around for


You know how they say every seven years
Your body, like, replaces all the atoms in your body?


Well, I wish bad memories
Were made out of atoms


I wish getting your heart broken
Was something just--


Made up out something
My body could get rid of
After seven or even eight years


It’s been ten years
Since he read me
That Note


And every year
My body
Remembers


My body knows exactly
What month it is
What week it is
What day it is


Sun getting brighter
Wind getting warmer
Birds singing in the trees
But not for me, Gershwin


Not for me


Until this year


This year, I didn’t remember


It’s not--


‘Oh, I got over it’
‘Oh, it’s better’
‘Oh, it doesn’t hurt to think about it’


It’s just…


I don’t remember it


Not anymore


My body let it go


Seven years for atoms
Ten years heartbreak
I guess


You hope you get to a point
With everything that’s happened to you
Where--


Where you’re a strong enough person
To think about this shit
And not get all fucked up about it


But sometimes


It’s just not remembering it


Sometimes it’s just--


That enough time has gone by
And you’re not necessarily a stronger person
But you’re a different person


You’re just--


A totally different person


And that’s gotta be okay for you, you know?

That’s gotta be
Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment