Saturday, April 7, 2018

The Inversion Scene

I’m standing in the gallery
And I have an epiphany


So, uh, I come home
To write it all down
Before I forget
Because I’ve been drinking
So, you know, of course
I’ll forget


Three or more glasses of wine
And even a miracle would be
Forgettable


But, like, so
Here’s what hit me--


The art scene?
At least around here?
Has inverted


It’s turned in on itself


Because, like, remember in the 80’s and 90’s--


And, I mean, I don’t remember them
But I’m aware of them
Of, like, their existence


--Remember how everybody was a bitch?

LIke, everybody
Was always acting bitchy?
Acting mean?


And it was almost a game


Like--


How mean or bitchy can you be?
How much of a villain?


Like, almost like--


How much of a straight-up Disney villain
Can you possibly be
When everybody’s watching?

And then
When people weren’t watching
It was like--


You were fine
You were actually fine


You were nice
You helped people
You sort of gave encouragement
To, like, other artists
Who were maybe unsure of themselves?


I remember seeing--


Hearing!


Hearing about--


This artist
Who was, like, notoriously terrifying
But, like, comforted this young artist
After, like, a really horrific opening
And, like, ugh--


I miss that


Because now
We’ve got the opposite


Now, we’ve got all these people
Who, like, really want to be perceived
As good people


So, like, they talk about how nice they are
And how kind
And what they do for charity
And, like, secretly?


They’re fucking pricks


All of them


Like, you get them alone?
And they’ll just like--


Tear this one down
Tear that one down


Did you see that shit they did?
Did you see that garbage?
Wasn’t it fucking awful?


And then, oh, out in public they’re--


Heyyyyy, love you
Love you
So supportive of you
And, like, everything you do, right?
Like--Namaste, girl
Total namaste to her
And her gifts


And they don’t even care
That they look so fucking fake
Because the alternative is being authentic
And, like, on their best fucking day
They can’t fake that
So--


So someone like me
Stands in a room
With all these people
And I feel crazy


Like, I tell myself
I’m crazy


Because everybody’s being so nice
And, like, my skin is crawling
Because something
Doesn’t
Feel
Right


Because I know that even if these people
Aren’t talking about me
Right at this moment
Given the chance
Or, like, given any reason to at all--


Like if somebody even mentioned my name?

They would


And nothing they would say
Would be nice

It would be brutal

Because all they know how to do
Is be brutal


And then smile at you
And, like--

I miss the days
When people were, like, brutal
To your face
But then, like, gave you a hug
And sort of showed you
That, like, yeah they were going to call you
On your bullshit
But, like, that it was love

That it was all love
And, like, real love
Not, not, um, not--


Like real love, you know?


It’s crazy
And it’s crazy
That I feel so crazy all the time
But now I know


Now I know why


It’s not me


It’s the inversion


It’s the parallel of it all, you know?

It’s like--


Science fiction


It’s…


It’s--


And like, what’s the solution?
Time travel?

Time travel back to when people
Would, like, read you down
But actually give a fuck about you?


Yeah, I don’t know, you know?

I, uh--

I really don’t know

No comments:

Post a Comment