Saturday, April 28, 2018

Fluid

It’s just so annoying
Having to talk about it

Yes, he was married to a man

He was married to a man
And now we’re dating

What is the big deal here?

People are fluid
They’re not solid
They’re not gas
They’re fluid

And just because one day you’re married to a man
And you’re a lawyer
And you live in San Diego

All of a sudden
It’s, like
Illegal
For you to be dating a woman
And running a vegan bakery
And living on a houseboat

I’m just really over it
To be honest with you

My boyfriend wears aubergine ties
And he used to be some guy’s husband

What is the problem?
Is there a problem?
I don't see a problem?

And people are always asking him--

'So, are you straight now?'

And they ask it with like--

This scrunched up forehead
Like--

Like they're History teachers or something
Asking if you studied for the test

It's like they want you to prove something
And my boyfriend
Does not have to prove anything
To anyone

It's, like, not his job
To go around checking all the boxes
The societal boxes
That are, like, filled with labels
And, like, need labeling
The boxes, I mean
They need to be labeled
Because god forbid
We have unlabeled boxes
Because it's not like this
Is a democracy or anything

It's just super frustrating

My boyfriend and I met
And, after a lifetime of loving men,
He was like--

Hey!  How about this?

And I think that's awesome

Like, what
You've never gone your whole life
Not eating turnips
And then, like
Had somebody give you a turnip
In a salad or something
And then all of a sudden
You were like--

Fuck, this is a good turnip

Because I seriously doubt that

Stuff like that happens all the time

People are, like, totally uninterested in something
And then they, like, wake up one day and it's like--

I wanna make out
With a turnip

And who are we to say anything about that?

And, like, does it concern me?

Um, so many things concern me
But the fact that my boyfriend
Was married to a man
Is, like, not even top three

Top five?
Sure

But not top three

So please just keep your opinions
And your thoughts
And your prayers
To yourself

Because we are fine

My boyfriend is fine

He is fluid

And so am I

We are both fluids
Flowing through, um
Each other
Which is--

Sorry, that was kind of gross

But you get the idea

Love is not a rock
And it is not scissors
It is paper

It's, like, the best paper
In the world

And that's what I really
Wanted to say

No comments:

Post a Comment