Wednesday, February 26, 2020

A Case of You

I got the rundown on you

The last woman who left you
She left a--

She left a manifesto
All about you
And how baaaad you are
And how dumb anybody
Would have to be
To love you

I wish I could have told her
That the quickest way
To make a woman
Love another man
Is to warn her against him

Now I don’t know
What you did to that poor lady
But she was pretty broken up
And the more she broke
The more I wanted to see
The thing that broke her

You religious?

I’m not

But I believe in the devil

Because I don’t think
You have to believe in anything
To know that somewhere out there
There’s something bad
That comes in and out of us
And makes us…

Makes us not our best

I’m not coming to look for you anymore
Not in these bars
Not on the streets
Not--

I want to sleep at night
I want to sleep well
I want to…

You saying you’re gonna love me
And making me believe it?

I thought that was going to be enough
But what’s your love worth
When it comes with all this--

This bullshit, you know?

There were all these years
When I could have you done you proud
But I’m not that way now

I don’t have the patience for it
And me telling myself
That you need me
To keep you alive
Just isn’t stacking up anymore
Because we both know
That you’ll put me in the ground
Long before you ever get there

That’s what that woman
Was warning me about

You go right up to the edge
And everybody else falls off
Trying to pull you back

It’s not your fault, you know
It’s how you judge love
It’s how you judge everything

You ask people to sacrifice for you
And they can’t ask the same
Because you don’t love anything
So what would you give up?

Love someone all you want
But if there’s no room in your suitcase
When the time comes
To pack up all the shit
You both love
Then what’s the point?

Because I got room for you
But you don’t even
Own a suitcase

I wish they could stop planes
Like they stop trains
And just let people off
Without a ticket
Or a plan

Not talking about
Connecting flights
But just little stations
Where you can jump
And not know
What you’re jumping into

That’s how I jumped into you
And that’s how I want to
Jump out of you

Fast and easy
With no time
To think about
What was going to happen
To you
With me gone

Just me worrying about myself
And nobody else

I had to start, right?

I had to start

Sometime

No comments:

Post a Comment