Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Elizabeth Warren

I find it offensive
That she can’t win
Because of who she is

Because who is she?

She’s smart
She’s smarter than a lot of people
Who went on to get elected

She might be
The smartest person running

And I get this feeling--

I could be wrong
My husband says I’m wrong
But he’s in for Biden
So take that with a--

He said she’s too ‘Northern’

And what the hell does that mean?

What does ‘Northern’ mean?

I’m Northern
I was born and raised New England
And my whole life
When national politics
Are front and center
What you hear is--

‘Well, this person better play well
In the South’

The Southerners better love them
Or they have to be Southern
Or something like that
Because otherwise
It’s a non-starter

But why?

Why are we always talking about--

This is how I feel
As someone
Who feels the way I feel
And who believes what I believe

Why are we always talking about
What’s going to work
For the other side?

How do I get to be the side
That gets catered to?

How do I get to have people
Look at me
Or people who feel the way I do
And say--

Hey, what would you like?
What would work for you?

I refuse to budge on this
I am done budging

I think a lot of people
Are done budging
And I don’t blame them
Even if they don’t agree with me
When it comes to the candidate
They’re supporting

The Bernie people say
They’re not budging
The Mayor Peter people
And the President’s people

We’re all not budging

Because everybody feels like--

This country was designed
To be this great compromise

And what I guess those genius
Founding Fathers never realized
Was that one day
People were going to get sick and tired
Of compromising

I know I’m sick and tired of it

Because the thing about a compromise
Is it’s really, really hard
To walk away from one
Feeling like you got more
Than the other guy got
Or even that you got as much
As they did

That’s the downside of a compromise

And so everybody feels like
They’ve been giving and giving
And not getting enough back
And all of us
This whole country
Is feeling like--

No more

No more of that

I’m a proud Northerner
I’m a proud liberal
I’m proud to be a woman
And a smart woman

And I’m not listening
To somebody tell me
That this time
Can’t be my time
Or it can’t be Senator Warren’s time
Or that we need to understand
This or that

I don’t need to understand
A damn thing

Let somebody else
Understand for a change

Let it be
Somebody else

This time

No comments:

Post a Comment