Wednesday, February 19, 2020

River

I’d rather just come home
Every day
And tell myself
Christmas is next week

That’s how I got through
A year in Chicago

Chicago was nice for me
Around Christmastime

It was the rest of the year
That really kicked my ass

So for my own--

I did what I needed to
Fantasy thinking-wise
To keep myself stable
Emotionally

Walking home
Thinking--

Oh, Christmas is next week
I get to go home

When the weather got warmer
I’d think--

Wow, Christmas is next week
And it’s so warm out

I strung up Christmas lights
Around my house
I put up a fake tree
That I got on Amazon
And I even wrapped up
Some empty boxes
With snowman paper
And if all that sounds crazy
I’m not disagreeing with you
But damn, I felt so much better

It made me think about
What people are doing
All over the world
To keep themselves
Away from losing it
Provided they don’t care
How it would look
To anybody on the outside

If you’re lucky enough
To have Christmas make you happy
Then the good news
It’s not hard to pretend it’s Christmas
When it’s not
Even when it’s not even close

At night, before I pass out on my couch
I put on the song ‘River’
And I have this little music box
With two kids that spin around
Like the boxes with the ballerinas on it
But they’re having a snowball fight
And when the box plays
It plays ‘River’
And these blue and white lights
Go across my apartment
And even though I never had that music box
When I was growing up at home
It feels like home for some reason
So I fall asleep to it
And it’s a game I play with myself
Where I try to fall asleep
Before the box stops playing

This Christmas I’m not sure
If I’ll be able to go home

I can afford it
That’s not the problem
I live pretty…

I have the money
But I don’t know
What I’ll do
If I get there
And it isn’t this thing
I have in my head

Right now I have…

It’s this thing
That I can keep holding onto
And I kind of know
That it’s not real
But…

If I ever really find out
If I’m ever, you know
Proven right then--

Then what am I going to pretend?

Or--or--how?

So I might just keep the Christmas lights up
And the fake tree up
And the boxes untouched
Because all that’s underneath them
Are cardboard and bubble wrap

I might just keep
Winding up the music box
And letting it run out
While I close my eyes
And think of a home
That might not be there anymore

Last night, I couldn’t fall asleep
And I kept waiting
For the music to run out
But it kept going

Then one-by-one
The lights went out
All over the city
And somebody thought
They saw

Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment