Monday, February 24, 2020

Samuel Beckett Orders a Sandwich

The bread
The tomato
The lunch
But for the category
And the category is the genre
The genre is lunch
Of which I’ll have

Did someone hear a fascist?

I thought I heard the drumming
Of the caw caw caw
Crow’s beak
Against my temple

Was it yesterday
I ordered a sandwich
Or today?

Aren’t I hungry?
Aren’t I always hungry?
How much more hungry
Can I get?

Don’t speak in riddles
They said to me
But what is a meal
But a riddle for your stomach
To solve?

Can I have cheese?
May I have cheese
I have no dietary restrictions
That I’m aware of
So the answer should be ‘Yes’
To both
And yet I hesitate
Because a slice of cheese
Combined with a crunchy pickle
Might sate me too greatly
And I should find myself
Not hungry at that other category--

Dinner

Are your pickles crunchy?
I prefer a crunchy pickle
A crisp not crass former cucumber
For my incisors to work their way through

I like the crisp crunch
I like a hard bread
Not enough to chip my chompers
But enough to make a sound
As I begin my trip
Into the culinary crusade
Prepared for me by you
Mr. Deli Worker

Do you want my ticket
With the number on it?

A number that tells you
When I was here
And where I’ll be
Until you call me out

Yesterday I was eleven
Today I am four
Was I earlier yesterday
Or were you simply
Not as busy?

Funny the labels life gives us
And yet I don’t mind waiting
Provided I know
What it is
I’m waiting for
And who
And where
And why

Is your lettuce fresh?
Is your mustard spicy?
Is your side of coleslaw
Especially creamy?

I’m a simple person
With simple needs
But in order to feel
As pleased as punch
A funny expression
I’ll need the crisp runch
The fresh flare of green
The spicy spot of yellow
And the creamy cascade of slaw

Even a peasant is entitled
To a decent meal
Be it not breakfast or dinner
Or those odd times
Invented by man
Known as brunch
And snacks
And snacktime
And supper

I ask for nothing but a sandwich
And even that may be
Beyond my grasp

A plate to put it on
A napkin to dab with
A customer survey
Asking after my dining experience

These are all things
That would be lovely
But are not required

I can live with so much less
And I have

A man can’t go through life
Expecting potato salad
When so many are starving

I ask for only the most mediocre
Of ingredients
Prepared with care
And served with pleasure

Can you do that for me?

As you can see
I’m a man of few words
But a very inquisitory

Appetite

No comments:

Post a Comment