Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Celebrity Died

A celebrity has died
And no cares about
My second cousin
Who died a week ago
Suddenly
Unexpectedly
Of what we think
Might be a heart attack
But nobody is sure

He didn’t do anything
My second cousin

He did lots of things
But he was never famous
And never rich
And he was never in anybody’s
Favorite movie

But it’s sad
When a person dies
And it’s sad
When a celebrity dies
And it’s sad
When people know
And it’s sad
When people don’t know
And nobody knew about my second cousin
Except for his parents
And his ex-girlfriend
And his co-workers
And the guys he played ‘Stop, Don’t Start’ with
And I don’t know how to play ‘Stop, Don’t Start’
But I found out what it was
At the funeral
When the guys who played it with him
Showed up
To give their condolences

A celebrity died
And people are mad
That more people are sad
About the celebrity
Than people who aren’t
Celebrities

But when the celebrity died
A collective experience
Was lost
Or seemed to be lost
And my second cousin
Was not a collective experience
He was just a human
He got to be--

To be

Just a human
Just a human being
And maybe he was lucky
To just get to be
A human being
And not have to--

To, you know
Represent something
For other people
Because it seems to me
That would be a burden
A very great burden
That not many people
Would want to, uh, undertake

I wonder if people
Are jealous
That when a celebrity dies
The grief is shared
Among so many
And so it’s…

Maybe it’s more bearable?

Or maybe it’s worse

My second cousin’s mother
Is a jealous woman
And wants to own
To own
Uh, everything
And I’m sure she’d want to own
Every bit of that grief
The grief she feels
And she’s, you know,
Entitled to feel
It’s just--

A celebrity died today

And two hours after they died
A person online
Said that people die everyday
Like this was some grand observation
That nobody else had ever made before
And then somebody brought up
Soldiers who die in war
And get no fanfare
But they get a flag, don’t they?
At their funeral?

My second cousin wasn’t a soldier
And didn’t do much
So all he got was a funeral
And not a very big one

Someone online mentioned
That the celebrity who died
Did something bad once
But my second cousin
Bullied a kid in high school
And it stuck with that kid
And that kid turned into an adult
Who killed himself
But other than that
My second cousin was pretty nice
But does it matter?

Should we be celebrating people
Who have done real damage in the world
And who among us
Hasn’t done real damage?

I walked out
On my family
Two weeks ago

I walked out

And today a celebrity died
And everybody wants to be sad
And nobody wants to let
Anybody be sad

So nobody’s sure
What to be
Or how to feel

About it

No comments:

Post a Comment