Sunday, February 9, 2020

Amy Klobuchar

My brother won’t talk to my father
My father is mad at my mother
And nobody’s mad at me
Because I’m supporting Amy

Which is, in some ways,
Really insulting?

Because the implication is that--

Let her support Amy
What does it matter?
Amy’s not a threat

And I just want to be like--

Screw you
Amy is a huge threat

Amy is basically Biden
Without all the stuff about Biden
That turns people off

She checks all the boxes
For the voters we lost last time
And for some reason
Checking those boxes
Makes her totally unappealing

I get it
Believe me
I get the impulse
To tear everything down
But we’re not tearing everything down
Nobody is going to--

Nobody is tearing
Anything down
Because we have districts
In this country
We have congressional districts
That are rigorous
And strict
And in those districts
We have voters
Who do not want their lives
To change that much
And that’s not going to change
Before 2020
It’s not
So this idea
This idea
That what we need
Is huge institutional change
I get it
I want change
I want change for the people
Who need change
But those people
Don’t seem to be too interested in--
Or are disenfranchised or whatever--
I believe in the attacks on voting rights
I do, I do
But whatever the reason is
We can’t get those people
To move the needle
So we have to go to war
With the army we have
And we have to get votes
From the voters we have
And that means not running people for President
Who talk as if you’re going to stick someone in the White House
Who’s pie-in-the-sky
And get everything you want
Without Congress
Without the courts--

Do you see how we’ve been able to
Curtail a lot of what the President is doing
Using checks and balances and--

And yes, he’s got some stuff through
He has
But we’ve blocked him a lot
And that’s because
You can block a President
So what you need--

You need Congress

This obsession you have
Sorry, that people have
With the Presidency
The Presidency
The Presidency

We need Congress
We need all of Congress
We need the Senate

OR
We need someone
Who can work with Congress
Who can figure out what the halfway point is
For a lot of these policies
And ideas

Bipartisanship has become this thing
That everybody has just
Given up on
And that scares me
That scares the hell out of me

Because whether you want
To bridge the divide
Of the divided country or not
It’s still a country
That’s split down the middle
And whoever wins the White House
Has to do something
About the half of the country
That hates him
Or her
And all these other candidates
Who are just running as if
They can’t be worried about that
Just stun the hell out of me
Because
How can you think like that?

Really?

How can you--

I just want everyone
To start acting
To start--

To try and get back
To some kind of
Decency, you know?

To some kind of
Decent way of--

Of looking at things

And meanwhile
Nobody even thinks
That I’m a factor
Or what I want is a factor
Because I’m not
The loudest voice in the room
Saying the meanest things
And that’s--

Tough

For me

That’s--

Really tough

No comments:

Post a Comment