Saturday, February 15, 2020

This Flight Tonight

Scott’s not talking to me
Because I told him
We weren’t covering Joni Mitchell

Nazareth already did a version
Of ‘This Flight Tonight’
And that’s one more version
Than was called for

It’s not that I don’t like Scott’s ideas
But I am not interested
In being a cover band
And he finds Canada
Much too inspirational
For my taste

Last night he threw some french fries
At my head
And then cried in the bathroom
For three hours
And that was before
He almost died from doing
Too much coke
So this artistic relationship
Does not seem to be going
In a positive direction

But I booked him first class
And me too
Because we needed a treat
Even though the money’s not there
Because our first agent
Was a lying, thieving cocksucker

At this rate
We’re going to have to send
Our skeletons on tour
If we ever want to see
Black ink again

Scott’s excited for Vegas
For a residency
But I look down
And I see my death
Amid all those twinkling lights

‘You’ll know your demise
When you see it,’
My father used to say,
‘And it starts beneath you
Then rises up’

Always thought the old man was crazy
But now I see what he means

Death you see from above
And so you feel superior to it

But now it’s twenty minutes
Until we land in Nevada
And the lower we go
The more I want to rip Scott
Out of his very comfortable seat
And beat the shit out of him
For asking me to join a band
In the first place

I was fixing cars
And now I have three hit albums
Two ex-wives
And a drinking problem
I can’t seem to kick

And he wants us to play Joni Mitchell

What about a forty-year-old man
From Sussex
With a tattoo across his chest that says--

Your Mom Gives Great Head

What about that
Screams--

Joni Mitchell

But he likes ‘This Flight Tonight’
And I don’t feel like hearing him bitch
So we’ll rehearse it
When we get to the venue
And we’ll put in the show tonight
And it’ll be awkward as all hell
But it’ll make Scott feel like an artist
And that’ll keep him quiet
For two hours
Before he finds something else
To cry about

When the plane lands
I want it to shoot right off the runway

I don’t want to die
And I don’t want anyone else to die
But I want it to go lower
If it’s going to go low

If death’s going to rise up
From beneath me
I want it to rise fast
And hot
And I never want
To see it

Coming

No comments:

Post a Comment