Monday, February 24, 2020

Galileo and the Great Night Sky

A man is father to many
In his life
If he is a good man


My father had five children
Two died in infancy


I fathered three children
Out of wedlock
And two were forced into a convent
As there were no other alternatives
For them


I have been dead
For nearly four hundred years
And at the moment of my death
I was placed
On something called the Karman line
Named after Theodore von Karman
Which happens to be an imaginary line
That divides the world as we know it
From outer space


I was in flux
And the result of that
Mixed with my no-longer living form
Was that I had quite a bit of time
To think


Much like being jailed
Or ill at home
I stayed in place
While others lived
Though I could not see them
For the eyesight of a dead man
Is worse than one might think
And I was so far from Earth’s surface
That only great bodies of water
And land masses
Were visible to me


And the stars
I had the stars


One such star revealed itself to me
As one of my lost siblings
And I thought perhaps I was hallucinating
Only to find that many who perish
Are reborn in the cosmos


Not all, of course
Some choose to walk among the living
And some are cast up
With no idea why
But the enjoy it all the same


I began spending my eternity
Questioning the celestial bodies
To see who they had been
When their breath still rose and fell
At regular intervals


You’d be surprised who’s above you


There is no morality to it
No criteria for who gets
To burn bright
Next to the moons of Jupiter
Or who winds up in a creaky old home
Wearing a white sheet
And scaring children


Stars and ghosts
Have much in common
Their only real separation
Being coveted placement
Although I suppose it depends
On what you covet


I wouldn’t mind haunting a house
Or two now that I’ve settled into my demise


Star after star became personal to me
Explorers and scientists
Sadists and puppeteers
Those who died old
And those who only took a few gasps of air
Before they found themselves
Perpetually on fire
And then…not


You die as a human
And then a star
And then you go on


But you do go on


I spent so much time looking for my father
But none of the stars answered to his name
And many suggested that it was likely
He chose to remain down below
Even though I do not remember him
As a man who enjoyed humankind


I wished to tell him of my own children
And ask him things that did not occur to me
In life


When you die, the questions overrun you
And so many of them
Are for those who are no longer there


Then come the apologies you can’t make
The confessions you can’t confess
The realizations that only the hindsight of death
Can bring about


You reach for something
And that’s when you’re pulled up and up
Leaving everything
And forgetting nothing


It’s hard to tell
If where you are
Is because of how well you lived
Or how poorly
Or if the stars are correct
And none of it matters at all


I wanted to tell my father
Who I am


Though it makes no sense
And never will
I wanted to find his place
In the great big sky
And close my eyes
In his light

One last time

No comments:

Post a Comment