Wednesday, February 5, 2020

California

I want to be in a car
On the way to the airport

That’s when I’m at my best
Feeling like
I’ve been brave enough
To get in a car
And get on a plane
And get away from it all

Somebody told me
It was too pretty here
To live

A place too pretty
Because to live
Somewhere like this
You gotta love yourself
A lot more than I do

I’m made for bleached streets
And cement
Even though all I write down in notebooks
Are sketches of trees
And high canopies

I aspire to my creative impulses
But where my head is at
Is somewhere scorched

I want a small backyard
And sweaty sheets
From a long night
With a broken ceiling fan

Only California’s
Going to give me that

He called me the other day
And made me promise
Everything
All over again

Everything I said
Before I left
About what the plan was
And where the time would go

He’s been putting ‘X’s on calendar days
And I’ve been putting on bathing suits
Waiting for something to change
So I know it’s time for me
To change too

But they don’t have change here
That’s how people lose themselves
And love it
While back home
Their old heroes
Become imaginary friends

I didn’t become a different person here

All day long
I hear people tell me
How different things are
Now that they’re rested
And well-fed

I tell ‘em--

Never underestimate
How far a good night’s sleep
And a good meal
Can take you

Travel doesn’t change you
And neither does the place you get to
When you’re done traveling there

It’s just that most people
People like me
They don’t let themselves think
And when they finally do
They make decisions
About what they want to have
Come next for them
And those decisions are usually
Something nobody saw coming

Not even them

I’m going to the airport
The same person I was
When the plane landed

But when I get back
Nobody will see me
For who I am

I’ll have to re-introduce myself
To California
And how unromantic
It can be

The longer I’m away
The longer Paradise
Starts to look pedestrian
And far away
Starts to look
Like someplace
I should make my way back to

You can only logic yourself
For a week or two
Before you feed it
Like a whining dog
Even though it’s already been fed

I tire myself out sometimes
I really do

But I also love being in the back of a car
Suitcase in the trunk
People waving at me
Wishing me well

Not knowing
Why I’m doing
What I’m doing

But doing it
All the same

Doing it because it seems like
The only thing

To do

No comments:

Post a Comment