Friday, February 21, 2020

A Hysterical Husband

We locked Charles
In the upstairs bedroom
Because he was ranting
And raving
About wanting the vote

The vote!

Can you imagine
Such a notion?

Men voting?

As if they wouldn’t simply
Sign off on all the wars
And unneeded machinery

Poor Charles

He hasn’t been doing well
As of late
And I suspect the hysteria
Has overtaken him

He insists that I’m conducting
Extramarital affairs
With every Tom, Dick, and Elizabeth
And no matter how much I assure him
That monogamy is just a construct
Made up by religious zealots
And that my affairs with Tom, Dick, and Elizabeth
Are not affairs at all
But healthy variations on the relationship
I share with him
He screams that I’m a harlot
And tries to strike me
Which of course
Leads to me using my childhood combat training on him
And that’s how his windpipe was bruised

I don’t enjoy harming my husband
Especially knowing that he’s unwell
But what’s the alternative?

Allowing him to harm me instead?

What an idea

Besides, I had him subdued
In under a minute
Tied to the upstairs bed
And I summoned the doctor
Shortly after that

The doctor recommended
Closing all the curtains
And putting up some lovely
Pink wallpaper in the bedroom
So Charles could be lulled into a restful sleep

Sadly, he’s been fighting slumber
And just last night
He screamed into the wee hours of the morning
Asking why he isn’t allowed to have a bank account
Or own property
Or have a say in how many children we have

I’ve never heard such disturbing nonsense
And I attribute it to the propaganda he hears
Down at the billiards hall
Which is why as soon as he’s well again
I shall forbid him from spending any more evenings there
And write a stern letter to the local paper
About the goings-on at that lascivious establishment

The physician also suggested
Some healing of the more...adult variety
But I object to taking Charles against his will
And at the moment
He flails so while tied to the bed
That attempting to heal him with my womanhood
Would be the equivalent of mounting
A bucking Bronco
If Broncos could spout sexist ideologies
And beg for a copy of Hemingway’s latest drivel

It certainly was never my goal
To have a hysterical husband

Charles seemed like the most progressive man
When he was standing in a line
Of husbands to choose from

Admittedly, my first choice was Lewis
But my sister nabbed him
And now she’s running for the Senate
And he looks so dapper standing silently beside her
At all her campaign rallies

But Charles did seem like a solid second best
And now the servants refuse to travel to the second floor
For fear they’ll pass the bedroom
While he’s running through his list of chosen obscenities
And conspiracy theories

The doctor herself nearly fainted
When Charles asked for a male doctor
To tend to him

A male doctor!

He might as well have asked
For a unicorn with a lab coat

I do so hope he recovers from this
But if he doesn’t
I shall have to be much more careful
When I choose my next spouse

It seems most sensible
To ask for the hand of Elizabeth
Since men seem to be, as a whole,
Getting more and more
Unstable these days

Good mental character
Is important in a marriage
And I can’t risk
Taking on
Another hysterical, bed-ridden,
Mustachioed loose cannon
Like Charles again

I mean, honestly
With all a woman like me
Has on her plate

There’s simply no time in the day
For worrying

Over a man

No comments:

Post a Comment